How the European Social Fund (ESF) extends employment opportunities and develops a skilled and adaptable workforce.
The operational programme explains:
- how the European Social Fund (ESF) will deal with labour market issues
- the employment and skills activities it will support
We conducted a public consultation on the draft programme in 2006 and the European Commission agreed the programme on 9 August 2007.
We amended the programme in 2011 to:
- move €31.7 million from priority 3 (technical assistance) to priority 1 (extending employment opportunities)
- move €11.7 million from priority 3 to priority 2 (developing a skilled and adaptable workforce)
- take account of the closure of the regional Government Office network and ESF committees in most regions
The European Commission agreed the amended programme on 12 December 2011.
Read more about the European Social Fund 2007 to 2013