Decision of the Charity Commission published on 10 July 2013.
The charity had been registered in 1964 and was removed in 1997 as it appeared not to operate, but it was established some time later that the premises were still in operation albeit occupied by a non charitable social club. The commission reviewed its decision not to reinstate the charity to the register.
The charity’s 1908 governing document did not allow the charity premises to be used for exclusively charitable purposes. The commission had been unable to conclude originally that the Charitable Trusts Validation Act 1954 would apply, but decided following review that it could, and therefore the commission could reinstate the charity.