The plan is based around the 4 critical themes of organisational effectiveness:
- efficiency and innovation
- strategic risk and leadership of change.
This plan sets out where the department is, where it needs to get to, and the improvements that the department needs to make to get there.
The model is based on ensuring that plans are:
- owned by departmental boards
- tailored to meet departmental needs but with core themes
- linked to departmental operational and business plans
- annually assessed
Departmental Improvement Plans replaced Capability Reviews which were first developed in 2005 and refreshed in 2009. A pilot exercise was conducted from October 2012 to June 2013 and resulted in the publication of improvement plans for:
- the Department for Communities and Local Government
- the Department for International Development
- the Foreign and Commonwealth Office
- HM Revenue and Customs
The Civil Service Reform Plan: one year on document, published in 2013, reiterated that the new model would be introduced across government to support all departments to publish their improvement plans by April 2014.
Find out more information about Departmental Improvement Plans.