Statutory guidance for local authorities with responsibility for education and children’s social services functions.
This statutory guidance is for local authorities in England.
It explains the process for:
- the appointment of the director of children’s services (DCS)
- the designation of the lead member for children’s services (LMCS)
- the legislative basis for the 2 appointments
- roles and responsibilities of the post holders
- government expectations about the role of local authorities in:
- children and young people’s services
This guidance replaces the previous versions, issued in 2005 and 2009.