Diabetic eye screening pathways: patient, grading, referral, surveillance
This document sets out an overview of the operational pathways in the NHS Diabetic Eye Screening (DES) programme.
Ref: PHE publications gateway number: 2016714 PDF, 123KB, 11 pages
This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology. Request an accessible format.
If you use assistive technology (such as a screen reader) and need a version of this document in a more accessible format, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.
This publication illustrates, step by step, the diabetic eye screening working processes.
The document includes the:
- retinal screening patient pathway
- referral pathway from screening to slit lamp biomicroscopy surveillance
- referral pathway from screening to digital surveillance
- referral pathway from screening or surveillance to hospital eye services for diabetic retinopathy management
- single common grading pathway
- pathway for pregnant women