Debts and Capital Gains Tax: HS296 Self Assessment helpsheet
- HM Revenue & Customs
- Part of:
- Self Assessment forms and helpsheets: Capital Gains Tax and Self Assessment
- 4 July 2014
- Last updated:
- 7 April 2017, see all updates
How debts, loans and securities are treated for Capital Gains Tax.
Ref: HS296 PDF, 253KB, 5 pages
This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology. Request an accessible format.
If you use assistive technology (such as a screen reader) and need a version of this document in a more accessible format, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.
This guide explains the basic rules on how debts are dealt with for Capital Gains Tax purposes. It includes loans, securities, qualifying corporate bonds, bankruptcy, receivership and liquidation.
Published: 4 July 2014
Updated: 7 April 2017
- The 2016 to 2017 helpsheet has been added to this page.
- Rates, allowances and duties have been updated for the tax year 2016 to 2017.
- Rates, allowances and duties have been updated for the tax year 2015 to 2016.
- First published.