The purpose of this return is to collect statistical data for:
- the evidence base to inform and monitor government strategies, policies and business objectives
- responding to parliamentary questions
- policy development on housing issues
- evaluating the quality and value for money of public services and public bodies
- benchmarking and performance monitoring by local authorities
The data is also used in other statistical publications (for example the Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government’s national statistics on the supply of affordable housing) and by other government departments.