HM Revenue and Customs commissioned Ipsos MORI to conduct qualitative research with parents and childcare providers in order to understand their views on the draft guidance and registration pages. This study aimed to inform further refinement of the guidance and registration pages. Forty-one cognitive style in-depth interviews were conducted between November 2014 and January 2015.
The research focused on:
- the format and layout of the guidance and registration pages
- ease of navigation to the relevant parts of the guidance
- clarity of the messages and the overall tone of the guidance
- level of information provided and whether any additional information was required
- ideas for improvements
- the extent to which parents and providers felt they would use the guidance and what they would do if something was unclear