Claim money back from a bankrupt person or company in compulsory liquidation: guidance for creditors

How to claim money back from a person that is bankrupt or a company that is in liquidation.



If you’re owed money, you’re a creditor of the person or company that is in debt to you. You have various options to try to get your money back, depending on the situation.

If you’re owed money by a person or company that can’t pay its debts (is insolvent), how you claim your money back depends on their circumstances.

This guidance describes how you make the claim when an individual has gone bankrupt or a company has gone into compulsory liquidation.

Please Note

This guide provides general information only and is not a substitute for professional legal or financial advice.

Every effort has been made to ensure the information is accurate, but it should not be relied on as a full authoritative statement of the law. The Insolvency Service cannot accept any responsibility for any errors or omissions as result of negligence or otherwise.

Published 10 September 2015
Last updated 1 February 2019 + show all updates
  1. 'What to do when an insolvent company or bankrupt person owes you money' guidance added.

  2. Changed in line with the Insolvency (England and Wales) Rules 2016.

  3. Revised in line with guidance for Insolvency practitioners

  4. updated to reflect new fee charges

  5. Changes made to show statutory fee changes

  6. Replaced section 9 to take into account legislation changes

  7. First published.