This was published under the 2010 to 2015 Conservative and Liberal Democrat coalition government
The City Deal for Sheffield is part of the first wave of City Deals to get the go-ahead from government.
The aims of the Sheffield City Region (SCR) Deal include:
- using the Sheffield City Region Investment Framework (SCRIF) to strengthen the region’s self-reliance, providing flexible financial tools to invest in growth, develop infrastructure, create jobs and stimulate inward investment
- transforming the commercial city centre with a £32.8 million New Development Deal, enabling the city to borrow against projected business rates in order to invest in infrastructure now
- setting transport funding for 10 years so the region and the local enterprise partnership can invest confidently in local connectivity priorities, including ensuring reliable access to the new HS2 station
- increase the efficiency of the SCR bus network through devolving funding and commissioning for buses and introducing smart ticketing
- developing a national centre for procurement based around SCR’s Advanced Manufacturing and Nuclear Research Centres