- broad subject: Police service
- sub category: Police officers; Special constabulary
- implementation date: 01/04/2015
- from: Crime and Policing Group (CPG) – Policing Directorate
- for more information contact: Al.Lama@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk or CED@homeoffice.pnn.police.uk
- addressed to:
- Chief Constables
- HR Directors
- Police and Crime Commissioners
- Office of the Police and Crime Commissioners Chief Executive
This circular publicises amendments to Police Regulations 2003 and Special Constables Regulations 1965 which implement the College of Policing’s decision to permit forces to take DNA samples from serving officers and special constables and to check information derived from the sample (DNA profile) against samples or DNA profiles taken in accordance with the Police and Criminal Evidence Act 1984(a) or recovered from scenes of crime. The instruments also allow a DNA profile to be retained for 12 months after the officer or special constable to which it relates has ceased service.
These provisions have been approved by the College of Policing as required by section 51(2ZB) of the Police Act 1996.
Guidance on the implementation of the policy will be available from CED@homeoffice.pnn.police.uk.
The statutory instruments are available here:
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2015/455/contents/made for police officers and http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2015/461/contents/made for special constables.