Apply for extension to Child Benefit

Use the online service (CH299) to apply for an extension of Child Benefit if your child's under 18 and has left approved education or training.


Apply online (sign in using Government Gateway)


You could get extended Child Benefit for up to 20 weeks if your child is 16 or 17, has left approved education or training, and has either:

  • registered for work, training or full-time education with a ‘qualifying body’ (for example, a careers service or Connexions)
  • signed up to join the armed forces

To apply online, you need a Government Gateway user ID and password. If you do not have a user ID, you can create one when you apply.

Email HMRC to ask for this form in Welsh (Cymraeg).

Child Benefit when your child turns 16
When you can claim for a child over 16, approved education or training, and when payments stop or continue.

Published 4 April 2014
Last updated 11 August 2016 + show all updates
  1. The email version of the CH299 has been removed.

  2. An online service is now available.

  3. First published.