Charities: detailed guidance notes
These guidance notes outline how the tax system operates for charities.
This guidance is about the direct tax obligations of charities and the reliefs available to them. Where appropriate there’s also information about indirect tax (VAT) obligations and reliefs for charities.
The information gives charities access to the most up to date information available about their tax obligations and any reliefs available to them.
Published: 17 September 2013
Updated: 27 April 2016
- New section 3.44 on Digital/Social giving added to chapter 3.
- Rates, allowances and duties have been updated for the tax year 2016 to 2017.
- Guide updated with the new £8,000 limit effective from 6 April 2016.
- Attachment - Annex iv: trading and business activities - basic principles has been updated at sections 45 and 47 to detail impacts on direct taxation arrangements between charities and their trading subsidiary companies.
- BSI address has changed.
- Chapters 3.5 and 3.6 amended on the Chapter 3: Gift Aid page.
- Chapter 6: Claims and Returns, section 6.11.3 Getting further help has been amended.
- Section 3.10.3 has been updated.
- Amendments made to text in Chapter 3 Section 3.42.
- The following sections 3.6.2, 3.6.8 and 3.39.33 in the detail guidance have been amended.
- Updates to Chapter 7.7 Other ‘risks’ the auditor will be looking for.
- Updates to Annex vii: affordable home ownership - charitable status and tax
- Guidance updated to clarify recent changes on Partnership Gift Aid declarations apply to Limited Liability Partnerships.
- Amendments made to text in Chapter 3 Section 10.3.
- Updates have been made to Chapters 3.11 to 3.18 of 'Chapter 3: Gift Aid'.
- First published.