Get information about how to register a charity for tax, your obligations, and any reliefs or exemptions available.
Ref: Gift Aid Small Donations collected before 6 April 2017 HTML
Ref: Gift Aid Small Donations collected on or after 6 April 2017 HTML
This guidance is about the direct tax obligations of charities and the reliefs available to them. Where appropriate there’s also information about indirect tax (VAT) obligations and reliefs for charities.
The information gives charities access to the most up to date information available about their tax obligations and any reliefs available to them.
Published: 17 September 2013
Updated: 25 October 2017
- This guidance has been updated in Chapter 3: Gift Aid in section 3.37 Membership subscriptions.
- Chapter 3.21 has been updated to amend the benefit limits for donations.
- This guidance has had Annex IX added dealing with the new Donor Intermediary process.
- This guidance has been updated to reflect the rule changes for the Gift Aid Small Donations Scheme from 6 April 2017. Chapter 8: The Gift Aid Small Donations Scheme is now covered over 2 guides - before 6 April 2017 and from 6 April 2017.
- New section 3.44 on Digital/Social giving added to chapter 3.
- Rates, allowances and duties have been updated for the tax year 2016 to 2017.
- Guide updated with the new £8,000 limit effective from 6 April 2016.
- Attachment - Annex iv: trading and business activities - basic principles has been updated at sections 45 and 47 to detail impacts on direct taxation arrangements between charities and their trading subsidiary companies.
- BSI address has changed.
- Chapters 3.5 and 3.6 amended on the Chapter 3: Gift Aid page.
- Chapter 6: Claims and Returns, section 6.11.3 Getting further help has been amended.
- Section 3.10.3 has been updated.
- Amendments made to text in Chapter 3 Section 3.42.
- The following sections 3.6.2, 3.6.8 and 3.39.33 in the detail guidance have been amended.
- Updates to Chapter 7.7 Other ‘risks’ the auditor will be looking for.
- Updates to Annex vii: affordable home ownership - charitable status and tax
- Guidance updated to clarify recent changes on Partnership Gift Aid declarations apply to Limited Liability Partnerships.
- Amendments made to text in Chapter 3 Section 10.3.
- Updates have been made to Chapters 3.11 to 3.18 of 'Chapter 3: Gift Aid'.
- First published.