Capital allowances and balancing charges: HS252 Self Assessment helpsheet
- HM Revenue & Customs
- Part of:
- Self Assessment forms and helpsheets: UK property, Self Assessment forms and helpsheets: employment, Self Assessment forms and helpsheets: self-employment and partnerships, Capital allowances, and Self Assessment
- 4 July 2014
- Last updated:
- 6 April 2017, see all updates
Use HS252 Self Assessment helpsheet to help you fill in the capital allowances boxes on your tax return.
Ref: HS252 PDF, 356KB, 21 pages
This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology. Request an accessible format.
If you use assistive technology (such as a screen reader) and need a version of this document in a more accessible format, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.
This guide will help you fill in the capital allowances boxes on your tax return. It explains:
- capital allowances
- plant and machinery allowances
- plant and machinery used only partly for business purposes
- disposing of equipment
- accounting periods that are different from the tax year
- starting in business
- ceasing your business
- capital allowances you can claim if you’re an employee
- Business Premises Renovation Allowance
- Flat Conversion Allowance
Published: 4 July 2014
Updated: 6 April 2017
- The helpsheet has been added for the tax year 2016 to 2017.
- Rates, allowances and duties have been updated for the tax year 2016 to 2017.
- Rates, allowances and duties have been updated for the tax year 2015 to 2016.
- First published.