Cancelling the passport of a child at risk of radicalisation

This guide explains how you can request the cancellation of the passport of a child under 16 at risk of radicalisation.


Sample letter to send to HMPO

This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology. Request an accessible format.

If you use assistive technology (such as a screen reader) and need a version of this document in a more accessible format, please email Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.


The scheme is to be used where there’s concern that a child under 16 years old is travelling, or plans to travel, for extremist purposes or the parent considers that the child may be susceptible to radicalisation if they travel.

The legal parent or guardian is the responsible owner of the passport and can return it to HM Passport Office (HMPO) for cancellation and destruction. HMPO will send confirmation of the cancellation and destruction of the passport.

This does not prevent a future application being made. A fresh passport application would need to be made and it would be considered on the individual circumstances at the time of any application.

If you have concerns about your child’s travel plans you can complete this sample letter and send it to HMPO. Alternatively, you can ask the police to provide a copy of the letter for you to complete. You should inform the police of your concerns and then forward the letter together with the passport to the address given on the letter.

If your child is over 16 years of age, but has not yet reached the age of 18 years old, you can use this scheme to inform the police or HMPO about your concerns on the wellbeing of your child and the risk of radicalisation. The continuing validity of the passport will be considered in the light of further enquiries.

Published 25 August 2015