The claimant brought five complaints against the Union of Democratic Mineworkers. The complaints alleged breaches of rule relating to:
- the notices required for branch meetings;
- the voting of a branch delegate at the Union’s Council;
- the election of a National Executive Committee member;
- the attendance of a trustee at a National Executive Committee; and
- a rule change relating to sections of the union.
Two of these complaints were upheld, two were dismissed and one was struck out by the Certification Officer under section 256ZA(4) of the Trade Union and Labour Relations (Consolidation) Act 1992. The Certification Officer did not make any enforcement orders.