The requirement for stability approval by the Secretary of State is contained in various SIs and M notices, depending on ship type and size.
PDF, 638KB, 44 pages
This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology. Request an accessible format.
If you use assistive technology (such as a screen reader) and need a version of this document in a more accessible format, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.
The main requirements are as follows:
- merchant shipping (load line) regulations 1998, reg 32(5)* for cargo ships;
- merchant shipping (passenger ship construction: construction of ships of classes I, II and II(A)) regulations 1998, reg 38; and
- merchant shipping (passenger ship construction: construction of ships of classes III to VI(A)) regulations 1998, Reg 31.
- the merchant shipping (passenger ships on domestic voyages) regulations 2000.
- the merchant shipping (ro-ro passenger ships) (stability) regulations 2004
- MSN 1823 - safety code for passenger ships operating solely in UK categorised waters
- the merchant shipping (vessels in commercial use for sport or pleasure) regulations 1998.
- MGN 280
- the fishing vessels (safety of 15-24 metre vessels) regulations 2002
- the fishing vessels (safety provisions) rules 1975.