Apply for a visa for a Commonwealth country or British overseas territory in Canada

Published 6 February 2014

This page explains how you can apply for a visa if you want to travel from Canada to some British overseas territories.

UK Visas and Immigration in New York processess visa applications on behalf of the following countries:

1. Overseas territories

  • Anguilla
  • Bermuda
  • British Antartic Territory
  • British Virgin Islands
  • Cayman Islands
  • Falkland Islands
  • Gibralter
  • Montserrat
  • Pitcairn Islands
  • Henderson Ducie and Oeno Islands
  • St Helena and Dependencies
  • South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands
  • Sovereign Base Areas of Akrotiri and Dhekelia
  • Turks and Caicos Islands

Please note that holders of Canadian Permanent Residency status (e.g. Canadian Landed Immigrants) do not require a visa to visit Bermuda, British Virgin Islands, Cayman Islands or Turks & Caicos if visiting for less than 30 days. You must produce a valid passport and valid Permanent Residence Card as proof of permanent residency.

You can apply for a visa to St. Kitts and Nevis online using the following website: All visa fees are paid on arrival in St. Kitts. If you want to travel to any other country that is not on the list above, you must contact that country’s nearest embassy or diplomatic post to find out whether and how you need to apply for a visa.

2. Before you apply

Before you apply, you must:

  • prepare your supporting documents - you will need to provide all the necessary supporting documents for your application;
  • check the visa application fee. We charge a fee for handling applications on behalf of other countries and we may also charge a forwarding fee if we have to refer your visa application to the country to make a decision. In some circumstances a country may choose to charge an additional fee if they have to correspond with you directly.

3. How to apply

If travelling to a British overseas territory or Commonwealth country, you must make your visa application online.

4. Applying online

When you apply online, you will need to print out and sign your completed form. If you do not have access to a printer when you apply, you will be able to log in and print out the form later.

When you have completed your online application, you will receive an email message containing your application number (also known as a ‘GWF reference’). Please make a note of this number.

5. Paying your visa application fee

All fees are payable online in American dollars (USD). Only Visa or Mastercard debit and credit cards can be used.

You should ensure that you get a receipt when you pay the fee. We will not refund the fee if your application is unsuccessful.

6. Sending your application

Once you have made and paid for your application online. You should mail your visa application to us in New York at the address below and ensure that you enclose a prepaid return self addressed courier envelope to get documents returned. The self-addressed envelope courier envelope must be DHL. We are unable to use any other courier service.

UK Border Agency British Consulate General 845 Third Avenue New York, NY 10022

6.1 What you should enclose

  • a signed printout of your completed online application form;
  • a valid passport or travel document; you are not legally required to have 6 months’ validity on your passport at the time you apply for your visa. But your passport must be valid at the time you apply and at the time you arrive in the UK
  • 1 recent passport-sized (45mm x 35mm) colour photograph of your face, which meets the requirements in our photograph guidance - you can download this guidance from the right side of this page;
  • visa application fee payment receipt;
  • if you are applying under the points based system, a completed self-assessment form, signed and dated;
  • any supporting documents that are relevant to your application and a photocopy of each document including English translations - the supporting documents page contains more information; and
  • any previous passports which show evidence of foreign travel.

7. Waiting times

If your application needs to be referred, you may have to wait 2 months or longer (depending on the country) for a decision on your visa application. We cannot guarantee that your visa will be issued by the date you request.

7.1 More information

If you require more information about visas for the above British overseas territories, please contact the WorldBridge call centre. You can find their contact details on the WorldBridge in Canada website.

8. Supporting documents

This page lists the supporting documents that you should provide if you are applying for a visa to travel from Canada to some British overseas territories.

  • A valid passport or refugee travel document containing at least 1 page which is blank on both sides, so that your visa can be inserted - your passport should be signed by you, and the name and signature should correspond to the details given on your visa application form
  • Your previous passport(s), if applicable
  • Evidence of funds (bank book or detailed bank statements)
  • Evidence of employment/studies
  • Evidence of reservations (you are advised not to purchase your ticket until your visa has been issued)
  • Evidence of purpose of visit (for example - letter of invitation).
  • 1 recent passport-sized (45mm x 35mm) colour photographs of your face, which meets the requirements set out in our photograph guidance, which you can download from the right side of this page.

Business persons

If you are applying for a visa for a business trip, you should provide the documents above plus:

  • a letter or fax from your employer stating the purpose of your journey
  • an invitation letter or fax

In both cases, the letter or fax must be in English if a referral is required.