The A14 Ellington to Fen Ditton (A14efd) scheme was unaffordable and so was withdrawn in the 2010 spending review. The Highways Agency and the department had gathered a large amount of information to support decision making about the scheme, and we are making this available to interested parties.
Most of the information is a combination of material prepared for the planned public inquiry, business case documents and traffic technical notes (known as TNs), which were intended to help inform the business case. We have selected some TNs we believe are particularly relevant, for instance because they were not able to be incorporated in the business case before the scheme was withdrawn. A full list of TNs is presented below, and all are available on request.
Also included is a briefing note on value management options. This was commissioned by officials due to the uncertainty about available funding for the scheme and it reviewed, at a very high level, the potential for finding lower cost alternative options. It noted that the statutory processes would need to be restarted if anything substantially different from the scheme was to be taken forward. The work was undertaken over a very short period and neither the officials nor the consultants involved intended the work to be used to form robust conclusions. No further work was undertaken. The briefing note also looked at options for reducing the cost of the scheme.
In addition to this information the department is also prepared to allow access to the modelling suite used to support the scheme, subject to the signings of an acceptable ‘Memorandum of understanding’. A key element of this is that the department and the Highways Agency will not bear any costs for model development or model runs. If you are interested in pursuing this, or have any other queries, you should use the following contact email details: email@example.com
The department is taking forward a joint study with local partners on alternatives to the withdrawn scheme. This study will report in June 2012 and you may contribute any thoughts you have on alternatives to the withdrawn schemes to the A14 study using the contact details above. The option generation and sifting phase will set the direction for the study, and this will take place in spring 2011. Any ideas received before this phase completes will have the greatest chance of influencing the study.
Statement of case (ZIP, 6401KB): the case for, and details of, the scheme which was prepared for the Public Inquiry.
- Proof of evidence traffic and economics volume 1: text (PDF, 914KB)
- Proof of evidence traffic and economics volume 2: appendices (PDF, 732KB)
- Proof of evidence traffic and economics volume 3: figures (PDF, 49KB)
- T&E proof of evidence: general scheme arrangement sheet 1 (PDF, 4915KB)
- Proof of evidence: general scheme arrangement sheet 2 (PDF, 1229KB)
- T&E proof of evidence figure: T2-1 (PDF, 18,125KB)
- 5079595-TE-DR-Figure-T1-1 (PDF, 2458KB)
- 5079595-TE-DR-Figure-T1-2 (PDF, 6349KB)
- 5079595-TE-DR-Figure-T1-3 (PDF, 6861KB)
- 5079595-TE-DR-Figure-T1-4 (PDF, 6042KB)
- 5079595-TE-DR-Figure-T1-5 (PDF, 4301KB)
- 5079595-TE-DR-Figure-T1-6 (PDF, 3789KB)
- 5079595-TE-DR-Figure-T1-7 (PDF, 9933KB)
- 5079595-TE-DR-Figure-T1-8 (PDF, 2253KB)
- 5079595-TE-DR-Figure-T1-9 (PDF, 1434KB)
- 5079595-TE-DR-Figure-T3-1 (PDF, 11,161KB)
- 5079595-TE-DR-Figure-T4-1 (PDF, 2765KB)
- 5079595-TE-DR-Figure-T4-2 (PDF, 4301KB)
- 5079595-TE-DR-Figure-T5-1 (PDF, 1229KB)
- 5062774-TE-DO-RE-716 (PDF, 1229KB)
- 5062774-TE-DO-RE-716-Appendix I (PDF, 1946KB)
- 5062774-TE-DO-RE-716-Figure J-1 (PDF, 2867KB)
- 5062774-TE-DO-RE-716-Figure J-2 (PDF, 7270KB)
- 5062774-TE-DO-RE-716-Figure J-3 (PDF, 6656KB)
- 5062774-TE-DO-RE-716-Figure J-4 (PDF, 3482KB)
- 5062774-TE-DO-RE-716-Figure J-5 (PDF, 2765KB)
- 5062774-TE-DO-RE-716-Figure J-6 (PDF, 4096KB)
- 5062774-TE-DO-RE-716-Figure J-7 (PDF, 9830KB)
- 5062774-TE-DO-RE-716-Figure J-8 (PDF, 2253KB)
Economic assessment report (ZIP, 10,808KB): Economic assessment report for A14efd.
- Business case (PDF, 204KB)
WebTAG appraisal report (PDF, 360KB): the DfT business case, and HA WebTAG appraisal report from August 2009.
Briefing note on value management options (PDF, 68KB): a high level broad brush exercise from summer 2010 considering options for reducing the cost of the scheme, and alternative road based ways of dealing with relevant transport problems.
Environmental statement: previously published.
TN list (PDF, 57KB): a complete list of all traffic technical notes which were produced. Not all of these were authorised or issued, and this should be taken into account when reviewing them.
TN 40 (PDF, 389KB): a note looking at options for phasing construction.
TN 42 (PDF, 584KB): a note looking at the value of different parts of the scheme, and options for only delivering parts of the scheme.
TN 56 (PDF, 292KB): an assessment of the case for building the A14 Ellington to Fen Ditton scheme to motorway standards.
TN 61 (PDF, 122KB): sensitivity tests around different modelling technical assumptions.
TN 62 (PDF, 135KB): the split between national and local benefits from the scheme.
TN 74 (PDF, 74KB): a re-assessment of the carbon consequences of the proposed scheme.
Environmental statement: previously published.