A guide to Part I claims

How to claim compensation if you own and occupy property that's been reduced in value by the use of a new or altered road.


How to claim for the effects on your property of new or altered roads

This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology.

Request an accessible format.
If you use assistive technology (such as a screen reader) and need a version of this document in a more accessible format, please email Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.


This guide explains how com­pen­sa­tion can be claimed for the affects on res­i­den­tial, agri­cul­tural and other prop­erty from the use of new roads or alterations to exist­ing roads oper­ated by High­ways England.

If you have ques­tions not answered by this guide or you would like to discuss your par­tic­u­lar circumstances you can:

  • call our customer contact centre on 0300 123 5000 (BT landlines 4p/min, mobiles usually cost more)
  • email us at
Published 10 January 2013