We have a received a request under the Freedom of Information Act 2000 for the following:
1) Has there been a review of the SOCPA amendment to Police powers to arrest since its introduction?
2) Does the Home Office have any research in respect of voluntary attender rate changes throughout England since its introduction?
3) Is the Home Office aware of any third party research conducted into the areas outlined at 3 and 4 above, and if yes by whom?
4) Are the changes to code G to be brought into effect in any prospective Bills, if yes what, and what is the Bill name and Section number within said.
We released the following information on 14 February 2012.
1) A review, entitled Memorandum to the Home Affairs Committee: post-legislative assessment of the Serious Organised Crime and Police Act 2005 was published as part of the post-legislative scrutiny of the Act. Page 7, paragraphs 31-37, refer specifically to the powers of arrest created by sections 110-111 of the Act. A copy of the review is available here http://www.official-documents.gov.uk/document/cm79/7974/7974.pdf
2) The Home Office has a limited budget to spend on research. Whilst we do consider this to be an important topic, we do not, unfortunately, have the resources available to carry out research on this area at the present time.
3) No; we are not aware of any third party research which has been carried out in this area.
4) The changes to Code G will be brought into effect via Statutory Instrument.
Date: Fri May 25 15:16:03 BST 2012