Bins and waste collection
Local councils provide waste collection services for most people’s homes. It is reasonable for householders to expect their waste to be collected every week, particularly biodegradable waste.
We are working with local councils to:
- increase the frequency and quality of rubbish collections
- make it easier to recycle
- encourage reward schemes to increase recycling
In February 2012, we set up a £250 million fund to help local councils to provide a weekly waste collection service. We invited local councils to bid for money from the fund by August 2012. The fund was open to bids from local councils in England that wish to introduce, retain or reinstate a weekly collection service.
To be considered for funding, councils had to pledge to:
- provide a weekly collection service to residents for at least 5 years
- ensure that their service represents good value for money
- achieve environmental benefits
118 councils submitted final bids. A list of the 90 winning bids and a short description of what each scheme will do can be found below.
You can get more information by emailing the Weekly Collection Support Scheme team: firstname.lastname@example.org