Lord O’Shaughnessy was appointed as a Parliamentary Under Secretary of State at the Department of Health and a Government Whip (Lord in Waiting) in December 2016.
Lord O’Shaughnessy was a senior fellow at the Legatum Institute and at the Jubilee Centre for Character and Virtues at the University of Birmingham.
In 2013, he founded Floreat Education, a multi-academy trust of 3 primary schools in Wandsworth, Wokingham and Brentford that provides an ‘academics and character’ educational philosophy. He held a number of other education and advisory positions.
In his role as Director of Policy to the Prime Minister between 2010 and 2011, he was responsible for co-authoring the coalition’s programme for government and overseeing the implementation of the government’s domestic policy programme.
He was Director of the Conservative Research Department from 2007 to 2010 and authored the Conservative Party’s general election manifesto.
He was made a life peer in 2015.
Parliamentary Under Secretary of State for Health (Lords)
The Parliamentary Under Secretary of State for Health (Lords) leads on the following policy areas:
- making a success of Brexit
- life sciences policy and industry engagement, industrial strategy and NHS innovation
- medicines pricing and regulation
- data, digital and technology, including cyber security
- NHS land and estates, NHS litigation, migrant cost recovery and income generation
Ministerial lead for:
- NHS Resolution
- NHS Property Services and Community Health Partnerships
- NHS Business Services Authority
- NHS Digital
- Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency
In addition he represents the government on all aspects of health in the House of Lords.
Previous roles in government
- 2016 to 2017
- UK life sciences sector brings record growth as new Life Sciences Council meets for first time
- NHS prescription charges from 1 April 2018
- Healthcare UK promotes digital innovation at Arab Health in Dubai
- Industrial Strategy boost for UK medicines with £70 million of funding to help develop new treatments
- Join Healthcare UK at Arab Health 2018
- Exporting NHS innovation at NHS Expo 2017
- Lord O'Shaughnessy on medical technologies and Brexit
- Speech given by Lord O’Shaughnessy on Brexit and medicines regulation