John Newton was appointed on 12 October 2012.
- Regional Director of Public Health for NHS South Central
- Honorary Professor of Public Health and Epidemiology at the University of Manchester
- Director of Research and Development in two large NHS teaching hospitals (Southampton and Oxford)
- first Director and CEO of UK Biobank
Chief Knowledge Officer
The Chief Knowledge Officer (CKO) is responsible for delivering an effective knowledge and intelligence service that covers research, statistics and know-how, to inform the practice of public health and public health improvement.
These responsibilities include:
- national cancer intelligence network
- drug treatment monitoring programmes
- research and development programmes