This information page was withdrawn on
The Vehicle and Operator Services Agency was replaced by the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA) on 1 April 2014. You can read about working for DVSA.
We employ people across the UK in a variety of inspection, support, technical and professional roles.
The Vehicle and Operator Services Agency (VOSA) closed on 31 March 2014. It has been replaced by the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA). This is the information about VOSA that was published at the point that it closed. It is no longer current.
Types of jobs we have
We employ around 2,300 people in various capacities helping with the regulation of commercial passenger and goods vehicle in England, Scotland and Wales including:
- inspectors working in testing facilities carrying out vehicle inspections
- examiners working in enforcement checking vehicles comply with road safety rules and regulations
- professional and administrative staff working in our head office, customer service centre and licensing centres
The majority of our staff work in frontline operational testing and enforcement but everyone who works for VOSA makes a significant contribution to:
- increasing road safety
- reducing road crime
- improving the environment
What we do
All our roles are aimed at improving the roadworthiness standards of vehicles, operators and drivers and cover the following areas:
- accident investigation and technical research
- bus regulation
- enforcement and compliance
- licensing of PSV and goods operators
- MOT compliance
- testing and inspections
- training and education
For more information download Who we are, what we do.
How our jobs are advertised
Our jobs are advertised:
- on the Civil Service Jobs website
- through Jobcentre Plus
- through trade publications
- through job search websites
- through the local press
You can also sign up to get an email alert when we advertise vacancies.
Your pay and benefits
Please refer to the job advert for specific details of salary but for operational roles:
- the full-time salary range of a vehicle inspector currently is £17, 662 up to £19,953 with a technical allowance of £2,590
- the full-time salary range of a vehicle examiner starts at £22,066 up to £24,928 with a technical allowance of £2,950
- the full-time salary range of a traffic examiner starts at £22,066 up to £24,928
You’ll get an extra allowance of £4,000 if you work in London and if you work shifts you’ll also get an allowance for that too.
There are many other benefits of working for VOSA - such as some of the best training and terms and conditions in the motoring services industry - including:
- 30 days holiday, 2.5 privilege days (taken at certain times of the year) and 8 days public bank holidays per year for full-time employees with part-time employee entitlement calculated pro rata
- entitlement to a civil service pension
- family-friendly policies including flexible working
- regular training and development
- employee assistance programme
- childcare vouchers and salary sacrifice scheme
- retail discounts and cashback offers
- cycle to work scheme
- workwear and personal protective equipment and clothing for frontline staff
- subscription-based benefits
For details and a full list of the many benefits of working for VOSA download our Candidate information pack.
Your working hours
The normal working week is 37 hours per week or 36 hours in London excluding lunch breaks.
Working patterns will change for frontline staff to meet our customers’ needs and we also employ a number of staff who work shifts.
Before you apply
Details of the selection process for each role are outlined in the job advert on the Civil Service Jobs website but this will normally include a competency-based interview.
We advise everyone to read the following guidance before applying:
- Candidate information pack
- Civil service competency framework 2012 to 2017
- Application form guidelines
- Guide to technical qualifications
- Tips for writing competencies
VOSA is an equal opportunities employer. We value diversity and continually strive to encourage it in our workplace, so we positively welcome applications from all sections of the community.