Complaints procedure

Wherever you lived when you applied for student finance, complaints are handled by the Student Loans Company (SLC).

How to complain

Most problems can be put right quickly by phoning us and speaking to one of our dedicated advisors. You can find the contact details for your service on our organisation page.

If we are unable to resolve your concerns, you may wish to follow our formal complaints procedure. You can register a formal complaint by:

Telephone: 0300 100 0601


In writing to:

Customer Relations Unit
Student Loans Company
100 Bothwell Street
G2 7JD

Our commitment to you

We will acknowledge your complaint within five working days of receiving it. Our dedicated team will then investigate your complaint and provide a response within 15 working days of receipt. If we are experiencing any delay we will keep you informed.

We aim to resolve all complaints in our first response, however, if you are not satisfied with the outcome of the investigation you can ask for a Senior Manager to review your complaint. Please confirm why you remain dissatisfied to help us resolve any outstanding issues you may have.

What to do if you’re not satisfied

If your complaint remains unresolved, you can ask for it to be escalated to an Independent Assessor. Independent reviews are carried out by one of the Independent Assessors appointed by the Department for Education, and are the final stage of our complaints process.

Complaints and appeals, what’s the difference?

We consider a complaint to be where you’re not satisfied with our products or services, and you want us to solve the problem. An appeal is considered to be a request to re-evaluate a decision made about your entitlement to financial help.