Personal information charter

Our personal information charter and how to request a copy of your personal data.

Our obligations under data protection laws

The processing of personal data is controlled by data protection laws including the General Data Protection Regulation and the Data Protection Act 2018.

Personal data is data that relates to a living individual who can be identified from the data. It is necessary that we handle personal data so that we can provide services for you. You can find more details of our obligations under the data protection laws in our information charter (PDF, 210KB, 6 pages) Y Siarter Gwybodaeth (PDF, 182KB, 5 pages)

How to request a copy of your personal data

The data protection laws allow you to find out what information we hold about you on computer and in some paper records. This is known as the ‘right of subject access’, and a request for a copy of your personal information is called a ‘subject access request’, or SAR.

If we do hold information about you we will:

  • give you a description of it
  • tell you why we have it
  • tell you who it could be given to
  • let you have a copy of the information in a readable form

So we can answer your subject access request you must send us two things:

  1. A description of where your personal data may be held. Please ensure that you provide details of where in the department your personal data may be held to help us to trace your records. For example, details of which court or prison you may have had business with, including any relevant case reference numbers and dates. Please be as specific as possible.

  2. Valid identification.

Acceptable forms of ID include:

  • a photocopy of your passport or driving license
  • an electricity bill (a copy of the original bill)
  • a gas bill (a copy of the original bill)
  • a council tax bill (a copy of the original bill)
  • any other bill in your full name (a copy of the original bill)

Any bill you send must be less than 6 months old.

We may charge you a fee to process your SAR if it is excessive.

How and where to send your request

Send your request by post to:

Disclosure Team
Post point 10.25
102 Petty France

or email:

For any queries/requests, for personal data made by, or on behalf of staff, or offenders and ex-offenders (including prisoners) requests, please see details on how to make these requests below.

Staff requests

If you are a member of Ministry of Justice (MoJ) staff, please refer to the intranet for details of how to make a subject access request.

Privacy notice for employees, workers and contractors (PDF, 185KB, 11 pages)

Offenders and ex-offenders including prisoners

If you are representing an offender or prisoner or former prisoner and want to make a subject access request on their behalf for a copy of personal information held by Her Majesty’s Prison and Probation Service, send your request by post, ensuring that you include ID to:

Branston Registry
Building 16, S & T Store
Burton Road
DE14 3EG

or email:

Please ensure that you include sufficient details to enable us to trace the records. This should include the full name, date of birth, prison number and the name of the establishment the prisoner is currently held in. If you are representing a former prisoner, please include the name of the last establishment they were held in custody in, along with the relevant dates.

How to contact the MoJ Data Protection Officer

Contact the Data Protection Officer if you:

  • have any questions about anything in our information charter
  • think that your personal data has been misused or mishandled

The Data Protection Officer
Ministry of Justice
3rd Floor, Post Point 3.20
10 South Colonnades
Canary Wharf
E14 4PU

or email: