The Intellectual Property Office Framework DocumentIPO). This details the responsibilities of the Chief Executive, the main steering board, audit committee and other governance groups of the IPO. It also sets out the framework of policy, planning, accountability and delegations within which the Intellectual Property Office operates.
specifies the governance arrangements that apply to the Intellectual Property Office (
IPO Steering Board
Our steering board advises ministers on the strategies, performance and targets set out in our corporate plan. It also provides commercial guidance on our operation and development.
Summaries from each meeting are available:
April 2008 to July 2013
Board minutes from are available in the National Archives and to a request a copy of minutes from a previous meeting, please email email@example.com.
Members of the board are:
- Tim Suter, Chair, Managing Director of Perspective Associates
- Gareth Davies, Director General of Business and Science, BEIS
- Gary Austin, Independent board member, Deputy Chair of East Midlands NHS Ambulance Trust
- Iain Maclean, Independent board member, Co-founder and partner of The Maclean Partnership
- Nora Nanayakkara, Independent board member, Director of Business Development, Demys
- Dr Andrew Mackintosh, Chair of Sphere Fluidics Limited
- Mandy Haberman, Creative Director of Haberman Products
- Tim Moss - Chief Executive and Comptroller General, Intellectual Property Office
IPO Audit and Risk Committee
The audit committee is a sub-committee of our board. The committee looks at our corporate governance, accounts, internal audits and external audits, and assesses how well we are meeting the requirements that the Department for Business, Innovation and Skills places on executive agencies.
The committee meets 4 times a year. To a request a copy of minutes from a previous meeting, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Members of the committee are:
- Gary Austin, chair
- Nora Nanayakkara
- Paul Coombs, Independent Member, Director of Finance, Planning and Performance at Crown Commercial Service
The obligatory attendees are:
- Tim Moss, Intellectual Property Office, Chief Executive Comptroller-General
- Neil Hartley, Intellectual Property Office Finance Director
- Steve Rowan, Intellectual Property Office, Director of Registered Rights
Attendees by invitation are:
- Intellectual Property Office Executive Directors
- Jon Whitfield, CEO, Government Internal Audit Agency, GIAA
- other GIAA internal auditors
- Helen Rossiter, National Audit Office
- Intellectual Property Office external auditors
Patent Practice Working Group
The Patent Practice Working Group (PPWG) provides the Intellectual Property Office with users’ views on patent practice issues. PPWG meetings are attended by representatives from the patents organisations below.
If you would like further details about the PPWG please contact email@example.com.
Professional representatives and organisations represented
- Chartered Institute of Patent Attorneys (CIPA): Stuart Forrest and Laurence Lai
- IP Federation: Ruth Barcock and David Litherland
- British Association of The International Federation of Intellectual Property Attorneys: Liz Dawson and Simon Rees
- ideas21: Richard Gallafent
Copyright Advisory Panel
The purpose of the Copyright Advisory Panel is to provide a forum for IPO and a broad range of representatives of the creative industries to discuss issues of common interest in copyright policy making, with an emphasis on horizon-scanning for factors that should be taken into account at an early stage of policy development.
Terms of reference
Members of the Copyright Advisory Panel
- Tim Suter – Non Executive Director, IPO (Chair)
- Geoff Taylor – CEO, British Phonographic Industry
- Susie Winter - Director of Policy and Communications, The Publishers Association
- Crispin Hunt – CEO, Featured Artists Coalition
- Magnus Brooke – Director of Policy and Regulatory Affairs, ITV
- Maureen Duffy – Writer, Poet, President of Honour of British Copyright Council and Author’s Licensing and Collecting Society
- Bill Bush – Executive Director, Premier League
- Gilane Tawadros – CEO, Designers and Artists Copyright Society
- Julian Ashworth – Global Director of Industry Policy, British Telecom
- Amanda Nevill – CEO, British Film Institute
- Hamish Crooks - Global Licensing Director, Magnum Photos
- Stephen Edwards – Partner, ReedSmith
- Ros Lynch – Director, Copyright and Enforcement Directorate (CED), IPO
Contact details: firstname.lastname@example.org