What we do
We resolve scientific disputes mainly in the food and feed sectors, give advice to regulators and industry, and carry out research.
We have a statutory function as a referee analyst under several acts of Parliament which focus on public protection, value for money and consumer choice. Regulatory areas where our advice may be important include the quality of food, animal feed, pesticides, medicines and chemicals.
Who we are
We are a scientific team based in Teddington. Our areas of expertise include molecular biology, chemical and biological metrology, and food science. The team includes a scientist with the required statutory qualification (MChemA) to act as referee analyst.
We are responsible for:
- helping to settle technical disputes between food businesses and local authorities
- carrying out research to give evidence-based advice
- advising government and industry
- sharing our findings with industry, academics and other organisations
From 2014 to 2017, our priorities will be to improve:
- how we share our findings to benefit regulators and industry
- the effectiveness of our referee function, and to raise the standard of measurement
- our understanding of the legislative, regulatory and business context in which we work
Access our information
Jobs and contracts
Our Personal information charter explains how we treat your personal information.