Our energy use
We publish information on how much energy our headquarters uses as part of efforts to make government operations and spending more transparent.
Real-time energy use
We collect information about our energy use from our main utility meters (electricity, gas and water) at the end of each day. The continual capture of data allows us to monitor how much energy and water we are using each day, week, month and year.
To see our real-time energy data, visit our energy monitoring microsite at data.gov.uk.
This data is also available on the DCMS page of the Carbon Culture website.
The ‘UK climate change projections 2009’ published by Defra (Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs) show that we can expect hotter summers, wetter winters and more extreme weather in the future.
Climate change has the potential to impact on all areas of DCMS business including:
- damage to our historical and cultural assets
- difficulties in maintaining public parks and sports pitches
- flooding of tourist destinations and leisure facilities
However, a changing climate could also provide opportunities, with a greater call for outside events and sports in summer, an increase in tourism, and investment in sustainable architecture.
We, and our sectors, also have a role in mitigating future damage by reducing carbon emissions and contributing to the overall UK and global drive to create a more sustainable future.
What we are doing in DCMS
Our current priorities are to:
- provide our sectors with information, evidence and support about climate change
- help raise awareness and generate debate about climate change in our sectors
- provide further forums for policy makers and front-line practitioners
- develop specific adaptation plans for our sector
Guidance for our sectors
The following links provide more specific guidance on topics relevant to the sustainable development of the culture and leisure sectors:
- museums: Greener Museums
- arts organisations: Arts Energy toolkit
- music industry: Julie’s Bicycle
- theatres: Theatres Trust Green Theatre Carbon Calculator