Complaints procedure

If you are unhappy with the service you get from DCMS or its agencies, there are different ways you can complain.

This information page was withdrawn on

The Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport has now changed.

Please see the Department for Culture, Media and Sport for the latest information.

In many instances our sponsored bodies provide DCMS services to the public and to business. These bodies all have their own complaints procedures.

Complaints specifically about DCMS

DCMS is committed to providing a high-quality service to everyone we deal with. In order to do this we need you to give us any comments about our service, and to tell us when we get things wrong. We want to help you resolve your complaint as quickly as possible.

Contacting DCMS

The easiest way to contact DCMS is by emailing

In most cases the department will deal with all enquiries and requests in writing. If you require a response in an alternative format or need any other assistance, please let us know.

Service standards

We aim to reply fully to all enquiries within 20 working days of receipt. If the issue takes longer than this to resolve, we will explain to you why there is a delay and when you can expect to receive a full response. If you are dissatisfied with the response you receive then you can also ask for the complaint to be reviewed by a senior official within the department. If you wished to do this, please head your enquiry ‘Handling review request’. We will not reply to rude or abusive emails, calls or letters.

Persistent and or vexatious complaints

These are becoming an increasing problem for all departments and public sector bodies, and difficulties in handling such complaints can place strain on time and resources and can be stressful for staff who have to deal with these complex and challenging issues. In order to counter this, we will introduce a policy that deals with persistent or vexatious complaints.

Other ways to complain

If, having followed our complaints procedure, you remain dissatisfied, you can ask to have your complaint reviewed externally by someone who does not work for the department.

You should contact your Member of Parliament and ask for your complaint to be referred to the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman. The Ombudsman can carry out independent investigations into complaints about government departments, agencies and some public bodies, including DCMS.

Contact details for the Parliamentary and Health Ombudsman:

The Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman
Millbank Tower
Complaints helpline: 0345 015 4033
Textphone (Minicom): 0300 061 4298

You can write to your MP at:

House of Commons

Complaints about Public Appointments

If, having followed the stages of our complaints procedure you still remain dissatisfied, you can ask to have complaints regarding Public Appointments reviewed externally by the Commissioner for Public Appointments.

The Commissioner will investigate all instances which took place in the preceding 12 months which concern:

  • an individual’s experience as an applicant
  • the way a department or other responsible organisation has handled an appointments process
  • if it appears that the Governance Code may not have been followed

The Commissioner investigates complaints and may conduct an inquiry into the policies and practices followed in relation to appointments processes which he regulates.

Details on how to make a complaint with the Commissioner can be found at website of the Public Appointments Commissioner.