Details of the Council's members and register of interests.
The members are senior figures from the fields of science, engineering and technology. They are appointed by the Prime Minister, in line with guidance from the Office of the Commissioner for Public Appointments. CST invites non-members to join sub-groups to advise on specific pieces of work.
- Professor Sir Mark Walport, FRS, FMedSci - Government Chief Scientific Adviser
- Professor Dame Nancy Rothwell, FRS, FMedSci - President and Vice-Chancellor of Manchester University
- Professor Sir Keith Burnett, CBE, FRS - Vice-Chancellor of Sheffield University
- Professor Steven Cowley - CEO of the UK Atomic Energy Authority
- Mr Rowan Douglas - CEO of Willis Re Global Analytics and Chairman of Willis Research Network
- Dr Paul Golby, CBE, FREng
- Professor Dame Julia Goodfellow, FMedSci - Vice-Chancellor University of Kent
- Dr Michael Lynch, OBE, FREng - founder of Invoke Capital
- Sir Paul Nurse, FRS - President of the Royal Society (ex-officio member)
- Sir John Parker, FREng - President of the Royal Academy of Engineering (ex-officio member)
- Lord Stern of Brentford - President of the British Academy (ex-officio member)
- Mr Colin Smith, FREng - Director of Engineering and Technology at Rolls-Royce
- Professor Sir Christopher Snowden, FRS, FREng - Vice-Chancellor and CEO of Surrey University
- Dr Graham Spittle, CBE - IBM Chief Technology Officer Europe & Vice President, Software Group
- Professor Sir John Tooke - President of the Academy of Medical Sciences (ex-officio member)
‘Ex-officio members’ are people who become members automatically because they hold a particular office.
- Dr Hermann Hauser, Hon CBE, FREng (until 31 December 2013) - Venture Capitalist and co-founder of Amadeus Capital Partners
- Professor Alan Hughes (until 31 December 2013) - Director of the Centre for Business Research at Cambridge University
- Professor Sir Michael Sterling, FREng (until 31 December 2013) - Chairman of the Science and Technology Facilities Council
- Professor Dame Sandra Dawson (until 31 December 2013) - social scientist
Register of interests
Members are required to declare any personal, political or business interests that could, or could be seen to, influence their judgement.