The repairs will be carried out underneath the M4 and will require the sections of the roundabout underneath the M4 to be closed.
The work will involve replacing deck beans, which support the road surface, along the central reservation of the two bridges that span the roundabout.
By carrying out the work at weekend, Highways England expects to keep delays to a minimum. During each weekend closure, the sections of the roundabout directly underneath the M4 will be closed from 9pm on Friday through to 5.30am on Monday morning,. These closures will mean that there will be no access from:
- the westbound M4 to the northbound A34
- the eastbound M4 to the southbound A34
- the northbound A34 to the M4 in either direction
- the southbound A34 to the M4 in either direction
The M4 over the bridges will be closed in both directions overnight, between 9pm and 5.30am, on Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights but will reopen during the day each day. Traffic will be diverted to use the junction roundabout and re-join the M4.
The main carriageway of the A34 will remain open in both directions throughout.
Whenever closures are in place, clearly signed diversions will be in place for each closure and could add up to 30 minutes depending on the diversion.
The closures will be in place from 9pm on Friday until 5.30am on Monday over the following nine weekends:
- Friday 8 May to Monday 11 May
- Friday 29 May to Monday 1 June
- Friday 5 June to Monday 8 June
- Friday 12 June to Monday 15 June
- Friday 19 June to Monday 22 June
- Friday 10 July to Monday 13 July
- Friday 17 July to Monday 20 July
- Friday 31 July to Monday 3 August
- Friday 7 August to Monday 10 August
Access to Chieveley services and the Travelodge and Hilton hotels will be available via clearly signed diversion routes.
Full details of the work can be found on Highways England’s road projects website where drivers can also subscribe for updates.
Members of the public should contact the Highways England customer contact centre on 0300 123 5000.
Journalists should contact the Highways England press office on 0844 693 1448 and use the menu to speak to the most appropriate press officer.