World news story
UK companies meet key decision-makers in Kazakhstan
This was published under the 2010 to 2015 Conservative and Liberal Democrat coalition government
UK companies discuss export opportunities and partnerships during multi-sector mission to Kazakhstan
Twelve British companies visited Astana and Almaty on 18-21 February 2014 as part of a UK Trade & Investment (UKTI) multi sector trade mission. The UKTI mission enabled the UK companies to meet key decision makers and potential partners in key sectors. These included:
- low carbon technologies
A series of events were held around the mission’s visit in Astana and Almaty in order to familiarise the mission members with the market and its opportunities. They also demonstrated the world-leading capabilities that the UK has to offer to Kazakhstan. This mission follows a series of successful government to government engagements, including the recent visit by the UK Prime Minister to Kazakhstan.
Opportunities in Kazakhstan
Kazakhstan offers a range of opportunities for UK companies in the said sectors. These include:
- secondary, vocational and higher education development
- low carbon technologies for agricultural sector
- development of sustainable agriculture
- development of Renewable Energy projects
- coastal security, energy security
- ICT sector development
In Astana the delegates had an opportunity to familiarise themselves with investment opportunities of Astana region by meeting with Astana Innovations and having had an Invest tour to Astana New City Special Economic Zone. There they had an opportunity to see examples of successful joint ventures between Kazakh and European companies.
The delegates attended 2 round table events on “Development of Knowledge Partnerships” and “Diversification of Kazakhstan’s Economy”. At these roundtables they met:
- Kasipkor – organisation responsible for the development of technical and vocational education
- Centre for International Programs “Bolashak”
- Kazakh Agro-Technical University named after S.Seifullin
- KAZNEX Invest – export and investment agency
- Nazarbayev University
- Nazarbayev Intellectual Schools
- National Teacher Training Institute “Orleu”
- Capital Education
- Samruk Green Energy LLP
- PwC Kazakhstan
- GRATA Law Firm.
The events were followed by a reception hosted by Her Majesty’s Ambassador, Dr Carolyn Browne. This networking event enabled UK delegates to discuss business opportunities in the Kazakhstan market with representatives of local companies and British Business Group members.
The Almaty programme included a briefing hosted by “Ernst & Young”. This enabled the delegates better understand:
- Kazakhstan’s investment climate
- finance regulations
- employment taxes
- other important data necessary for work in the local market
There was also a round table with National Chamber of Entrepreneurs of Almaty and Almaty Region.
The round table was hosted by the Director of National Chamber of Entrepreneurs, Mr Erlan Stambekov. It was attended by representatives of:
- Business and Industry Administration of Almaty
- Almaty Development Centre
- “Park of Innovative Technologies” Special Economic Zone
- National Chamber of Entrepreneurs of Almaty Region
- educational institutions
- agricultural enterprises of Almaty and Almaty Region
UK delegates learned about priority sectors of Almaty Region as well as discussed potential co-operation with Kazakhstani companies operating in vocational education and agricultural sectors.
UK companies seeking to develop their business in Kazakhstan should contact UKTI Kazakhstan via email or call +7 7172 55 62 14, +7 7172 55 62 37, +7 7172 55 62 19.
For further information regarding this visit please contact the Communications Section: +7 7172 55 62 17.