The Acting Governor, the Hon. Anya Williams chaired the 16th meeting of the Cabinet on Wednesday 17th July 2013 at the House of Assembly Building on Grand Turk.
All Ministers were present at the meeting except the Minister for Health and the Minister for Government Support Services who are out of the country on official business.
At this meeting Cabinet:
· Noted the recommendations of the Scholarship Board for 2013 presented by the Minister of Education, Youth and Sports. The Scholarship Board considered some 117 applications to study overseas. The Board recommended the issuance of the following awards: 9 Full Scholarships; 17 Partial Scholarships and 9 Grants. The full details of the awardees will be published in the Gazette. Cabinet also noted that there were124 Applications for local studies which will be considered by the Board in August after receipt of the CXC/IGCSE results.
· Agreed a proposal from the Minister of Education, Youth and Sports to seek assistance from a specialist sports consultant to work with the British Olympic Association to secure membership on the International Olympic Committee (IOC). As a member of the IOC the Turks and Caicos Islands will receive assistance with the development of sports programmes and infrastructure.
· Approved the submission of the 2012/13 Statement of Net Excess Expenditure to the House of Assembly to be considered as part of the Charge to Public Funds. The Statement of Excess will be laid on the table (in accordance with section 117 of the constitution) at the next sitting of the House of Assembly for onward submission to the Appropriations Committee.
· Approved a proposal from the Minister for Government Support Services to regularise the payment of arrears from customers in Grand Turk for water consumption. Cabinet heard that some 837 customers residing in Grand Turk are shown to be in arrears and owe the Government a total amount of $1.4M. Cabinet agreed that residential customers in arrears should be offered a 50% discount and 25% for commercial customers. Discounts are conditional on the arrears being settled by the 1st December 2013. Customers in arrears will not have access to the new water system in Grand Turk, when it is available, while arrears are outstanding.
· Advised HE. The Governor to grant a long-term (99 year) lease to Vista Properties Limited (Beaches Resort & Spa) over Parcel 60803/96pt. The subject parcel was publicly tendered in accordance with the procedures of the Crown Land Ordinance 2012 and no competing bids were received.
· Received an update from the Attorney General on the discussions relating to the Beaches development agreement which are continuing.
Further information on the issues addressed by Cabinet will be provided by Ministers in due course.
Cabinet will hold its next meeting on 31st July 2013.