News story

Football supporters' advice for matches in Austria

Advice for football fans travelling to Austria needing Consular assistance

This was published under the 2010 to 2015 Conservative and Liberal Democrat coalition government

Kicking a football

This information is prepared by the British Embassy Vienna for football fans travelling to Austria. It is intended as a guide for fans who find themselves needing assistance following theft/loss of property during their visit to Austria.

As well as this advice, check out our travel advice for Austria

Passports, visas, insurance

  • Before you travel YOU should ensure that you take out adequate travel insurance and also bring your EHIC with you

  • It is necessary to carry ID with you at all times

  • You don’t need a visa to travel to Austria, but your passport should be valid for the duration of your trip

‘Reporting Lost / Stolen Property in Austria

If you have had your passport, wallet or other property stolen or if you suspect you have had them stolen, then you should report the theft to the nearest police station (or to the one near the Embassy – see below):

“Bezirkspolizeikommissariat” for the 3rd district
Juchgasse 19
A-1030 Vienna

tel +43-1-31310 ext 58251

Theft of property should be reported in person to the Austrian police within 24 hours to obtain a Police Report/Crime Number. You may need this for insurance purposes.

Mislaid or lost passports or property will have to be reported to the nearest Lost Property Office (which are part of the respective District Council within Vienna’s 23 districts). For directions please contact the nearest police station.

Applying for Emergency Travel Document

An Emergency Travel Document (ETD) will enable any eligible British National whose full validity British passport has been lost / stolen / severely damaged to return to the UK (or his present country of residence). In order to apply for an Emergency Travel Document you will need to visit the British Embassy during office hours (Mon–Fri 09:15-12:30 and 14:00-15:45) at Jauresgasse 10, A-1030 Vienna, about a 15/20 minute walk from the Vienna city centre. (Nearest public transport stops: ‘Rennweg’ S-Bahn station or ‘Stadtpark’ U4 underground stop).

You should bring with you:

  • A passport photograph (preferably taken on a white background)

  • A police report (if your passport has been stolen) or lost property report (if your passport has been lost)

  • A copy of your travel itinerary

  • Any other form of photo ID you are (still) holding

Further useful information and a downloadable ETD application form are available from the following Embassy website. The fee for an ETD presently is €121 payable by a Visa/MasterCard credit card or in cash.

Please be aware that the Embassy is not in the position to issue regular passports.

What to do if you have no money left

If you have spent all your cash or you are unable to get money from your credit card or have had your wallet stolen, you can obtain money through a Western Union transfer.

To do this you will need to:

  • Give your friend/relative the Western Union details ( or their 24/7 telephone number: 0800 833 833.

  • Your friend / relative will need to contact Western Union and arrange to transfer money to you. Western Union take a fee for this service. The money transfer is instant and you will be able to collect the money a few minutes after the transfer has been confirmed by your friend/relative

  • In order to collect the money you will need to have ID. If you do not have a valid passport or other identity document with you, then ask your friend/relative to send the money in the name of somebody that is travelling with you and has ID

  • Please make sure that your friend/relative gives you the Money Transfer Control Number (MTCN), which is necessary to collect your money

  • If you are in Vienna on your own and have no means of identification at all, or friends/family members who could do the money transfer for you - you should contact the British Embassy for assistance in collecting your money

Western Union services are available in offices or outlets all over Vienna (e.g. at every Austrian Post Office, these however closed over weekends) – for details / outlets please check the relevant Western Union webpage.

Emergency services numbers

  • European Emergency Number - 112

  • Ambulance and Fire – 122

  • Police - 133

  • Ambulance - 144

Out of hours Consular assistance

In the event of an extreme emergency out of hours please call the general Embassy number +43 1 71613 0*. You will be given further dialling instructions on how to speak to a Consular officer.

Follow us on Twitter @UKinAustria

Published 4 July 2014
Last updated 22 July 2014 + show all updates
  1. Updated text with latest information
  2. First published.