World news story
Sofia Pride 2013: Ambassadors issue a statement of support
This was published under the 2010 to 2015 Conservative and Liberal Democrat coalition government
Diplomats encourage people and national institutions in Bulgaria to stand up for openmindedness and tolerance towards the LGBTI community.
British Ambassador Jonathan Allen with a group of diplomats based in Sofia have signed a statement in support of Sofia Pride.
The statement reads:
We would like to convey our support to all people who either actively participate in or sympathise with this year’s Sofia Pride on 21 September 2013. Promoting the principle of equal treatment for LGBTI people is an important aspect of a tolerant and respectful civil society. No one should ever be discriminated against based on his or her sexual orientation or gender identity. By signing this statement we would like to stress that any democratic society should stand up for openmindedness and tolerance towards the LGBTI community.
We want to encourage the public and the national authorities to support and defend these values. We want to show our solidarity to all the people joining the Pride. We wish everyone a peaceful and happy celebration.
- Gerhard Reiweger, Ambassador of the Republic of Austria
- Anick Van Calster, Ambassador of H.M. the King of the Belgians
- Kaare E. Janson, Ambassador of Denmark
- Harri Salmi, Ambassador of the Republic of Finland
- Florence Lévy, Chargé d’Affaires at the Embassy of France
- Matthias Höpfner, Ambassador of the Federal Republic of Germany
- John Rowan, Ambassador of Ireland
- Darius Gaidys, Minister Plenipotentiary, Chargé d’Affaires at the Embassy of the Republic of Lithuania
- Riny Bus,Chargé d’Affaires at the embassy of the Kingdom of the Netherlands
- Guro Katharina H. Vikør, Ambassador of Norway
- Vladimir Stamenovic, Chargé d’Affaires at the Embassy of Serbia
- Boiki Philip Motloung, Chargé d’Affaires at the South African Embassy
- Jonathan Allen, Ambassador of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
- Marcie B. Ries, Ambassador of the United States of America