Six businesses in Wales recognised for enterprise excellence on Her Majesty’s 91st birthday
Welsh Secretary: The companies awarded today prove that every corner of Wales is open for business.
- Established in 1965, the Queen’s Awards for Enterprise celebrates the UK’s small and medium sized businesses
- This year’s winners include the first group for the Promoting Opportunity category
- Research shows nearly 75% of past winners attribute the Queen’s Awards to increased international sales
- Entries are open as of today for the 2018 awards
Business Secretary Greg Clark today named the winners of the Queen’s Awards for Enterprise in celebration of Her Majesty The Queen’s 91st birthday.
This included six businesses from across Wales who have been recognised for their contribution to sustainable development, international trade and innovation.
Winners include businesses leading the way in a broad range of industries - from a remote water leak monitoring system, and an apprenticeship scheme in the construction industry, to development and manufacture of environmental packaging systems, and a sea salt manufacturer.
Now in its 51st year, the Queen’s Awards for Enterprise are one of the most prestigious business awards in the country, with winning businesses able to use the esteemed Queen’s Awards emblem for the next five years.
Winning businesses in Wales are:
Sustainable development award winners:
- The Anglesey Sea Salt Company Ltd T/A Halen Mon, Llanfairpwll
Innovation award winners:
- HMW-Water Ltd, Cwmbran
- Siltbuster Ltd, Monmouth
- Cyfle Building Skills Ltd (SWWRSAL), Ammanford.
International trade award winners
- Green Light International Ltd, Cardiff
- SPTS Technologies Group Ltd, Newport
Secretary of State for Wales Alun Cairns said:
The Queen’s Awards highlight the best of British business – rewarding their strong entrepreneurial streak, their ambitions to succeed at home and overseas and the crucial contribution they make to our economy.
From Anglesey to Monmouth, the Welsh companies awarded today are beacons of success, demonstrating that every corner of Wales is open for business.
They can all be rightly proud of their achievements. I hope their successes will become the inspiration for other Welsh businesses to strive for this prestigious award in the future.
Business Secretary Greg Clark said:
The Queen’s Awards for enterprise highlights everything that’s great about UK business today.
We have some of the best entrepreneurs and innovative minds in the world who are at the heart of small start-ups providing excellent customer service to larger businesses developing global solutions. Over one million new businesses have been created since 2010, all playing a vital role in creating jobs and driving growth across the UK.
I’m extremely proud to see such a wealth of businesses across Wales being recognised today. Through our Industrial Strategy we will be building on the successes of these award winning businesses, helping to build a stronger, more outward looking and prosperous global Britain.
According to research by the University of Strathclyde, 73% of International Trade winners between 2012 - 2015 directly attributed increased international sales to winning a Queen’s Award for Enterprise
Entry to the 2018 Awards opens on 21 April 2017 and closes on Friday 1 September 2017.
Notes to editors
- Winners of the Queen’s Awards for Enterprise are visited by a Royal representative and are presented with a commemorative trophy as a mark of their achievement. They are also invited to attend a reception at Buckingham Palace in July 2017.
- Businesses are also able to use the Queen’s Awards emblem in advertising, marketing and on packaging for five years.
- See the full press book of winners, including descriptions and contact details of the 176 winners of the Queen’s Awards for Enterprise in all four categories.
- Firms that won a Queen’s Award for international trade demonstrated substantial international growth in overseas earnings and commercial success within their sector.
- Awards for innovation are given to businesses that can demonstrate that their innovative products or services are commercially successful.
- Sustainable development winners have to show they are involved in activity that ensures a better quality of life for everyone, now and in the future.
- The Queen’s Award for Promoting Opportunity winners have had a social mobility programme running for more than two years giving equal support and progression to all employees.