Safe management of healthcare waste
This was published under the 2010 to 2015 Conservative and Liberal Democrat coalition government
An updated version of the safe management of healthcare waste guidance manual is published. A number of issues needed clarifying to improve…
An updated version of the safe management of healthcare waste guidance manual is published. A number of issues needed clarifying to improve consistency of understanding and to advise of legislative changes that have come into force since publication. The changes are:
- a change of wording from premises notification to premises registration
- a paragraph has been inserted on the Waste Framework Directive 2011 which came into force after publication
- Controlled Waste Regulations 2012 came into force 6 April 2012 - this needed a revised note added
- links needed amending from the Carriage of Dangerous Goods Pressure Equipment Regulations 2004 version to 2009 regulations
- inconsistency of terminology ie sharps boxes, sharps containers, sharps receptacles etc have changed to sharps receptacles for consistency
- other amends were of in a similar vein.
Note this guidance was previously known as Health Technical Memorandum (HTM) 07-01). The second edition of Safe management of healthcare waste was published in March 2011 and this is version two of the document.
Published: 2 May 2012
From: Department of Health