An updated version of the safe management of healthcare waste guidance manual is published. A number of issues needed clarifying to improve consistency of understanding and to advise of legislative changes that have come into force since publication. The changes are:
- a change of wording from premises notification to premises registration
- a paragraph has been inserted on the Waste Framework Directive 2011 which came into force after publication
- Controlled Waste Regulations 2012 came into force 6 April 2012 - this needed a revised note added
- links needed amending from the Carriage of Dangerous Goods Pressure Equipment Regulations 2004 version to 2009 regulations
- inconsistency of terminology ie sharps boxes, sharps containers, sharps receptacles etc have changed to sharps receptacles for consistency
- other amends were of in a similar vein.
Read Safe management of healthcare waste version 2.0
Note this guidance was previously known as Health Technical Memorandum (HTM) 07-01). The second edition of Safe management of healthcare waste was published in March 2011 and this is version two of the document.