World news story
Job vacancy: Personal Assistant / Interpreter in Belgrade
This was published under the 2010 to 2015 Conservative and Liberal Democrat coalition government
The successful candidate will be employed by the project, not by the British Embassy.
Applications are being sought for the position of a full time Personal Assistant / Interpreter to a resident international expert who will be coordinating a forthcoming EU funded HR project at the Ministry of the Interior, Belgrade. One position is available and the PA will provide language, written translation and administrative support to the resident expert. This is a temporary position that will last for 24 months. There may also be an opportunity for overtime. All out of pocket expenses will be met. The salary is negotiable subject to experience. This position will predominantly be based in New Belgrade.
N.B The successful candidate will be employed by the project- not by the British Embassy. Specific conditions of employment will be negotiated with the successful candidate following the recruitment process.
Essential skills and experience
- fluency in both oral and written communication skills in Serbian and English
- proven experience of interpreting at both informal and formal workshops/seminars or similar activities
- proven experience of translating documents in a timely and accurate manner, from Serbian to English and vice versa
- flexibility and maturity of judgement
- excellent research and report writing skills
- ability to work under direction and also to use own initiative
- strong administrative, organisational and planning skills
- proficiency in IT – extensive knowledge of practical experience of operating Windows applications, including Word, Outlook e-mail, and Excel spreadsheets and PowerPoint presentations
- flexibility to travel within Serbia and internationally if requested
- proven ability to understand and respect all confidential classifications (both government and operational nature) of any government, operational or training documents, statements or other information he/she may be given during the exercise of his/her duties
- a high level of security awareness, discretion and integrity
- the ability to work as an effective member of a team
Desirable skills and experience
- knowledge of EU policies and institutions;
- experience of working on international projects;
- experience of working within EU and Serbian legal systems
- knowledge of Project Management
- practical or theoretical knowledge of planning processes in the government, academic or business sectors
- holder of a full driving licence
- to provide language and administrative support to one of the key international long term experts
- to act as personal assistant to one of the international long term experts
- to provide satisfactory translation of documents/regulations/training materials/briefing materials and other written material from English to Serbian and vice versa
- to interpret at meetings/workshops/seminars/conferences from English to Serbian and vice versa
- to support the Project Team in the execution of their responsibilities and tasks
- to assist in arranging contacts, meetings, and logistical arrangements (i.e. travel / accommodation)
- to perform routine administrative office tasks- including filing
- to undertake any other appropriate duties as required by the Resident Twinning Advisor
To apply for this exciting opportunity please submit a CV detailing your previous experience together with a covering letter. This letter should include two independent referees- one of whom should be your previous employer who is able to comment on your attendance at work record. The workplace will be a non-smoking environment.
The successful applicant will be required to start work in autumn, subject to EU approval. All applicants must be willing to undergo a security vetting process.
Please enclose a copy of your passport/ identification card along with your application.
Applications must be submitted by Friday 24 May 2013. Applications received beyond this date will not be considered.
Interviews will take place on Friday 7 June 2013. For an interview applicants will receive an e-mail invitation. Due to logistical reasons applications from candidates who are unavailable for interview on this date will not be considered.
N.B Referees will not be contacted unless you are offered the post and any offer of employment will be subject to satisfactory references and vetting.
Interested parties should send their applications via e-mail with attached documents (Word and PDF files): firstname.lastname@example.org