Record number of employers named and shamed for underpaying more than 15,500 workers
More than 350 employers have been named and shamed today as the Government publishes the largest ever list of national minimum and living wage offenders.
The Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy today named 360 businesses who underpaid 15,520 workers a total of £995,233, with employers in the hairdressing, hospitality and retail sectors the most prolific offenders.
As well as recovering arrears for some of the UK’s lowest paid workers, HMRC issued penalties worth around £800,000.
For the first time, the naming list includes employers who failed to pay eligible workers at least the new National Living Wage rate, which is currently £7.20 for workers aged 25 and over.
Business Minister Margot James said:
Every worker in the UK is entitled to at least the national minimum or living wage and this government will ensure they get it.
That is why we have named and shamed more than 350 employers who failed to pay the legal minimum, sending the clear message to employers that minimum wage abuses will not go unpunished.
Excuses for underpaying workers included using tips to top up pay, docking workers’ wages to pay for their Christmas party and making staff pay for their own uniforms out of their salary.
Secretary of State for Northern Ireland, Rt Hon James Brokenshire MP said:
The National Living and Minimum Wage, which every worker is entitled to, is an essential part of building the higher wage, lower welfare, lower tax society that the UK needs.
Thanks to government investigations more than 15 and a half thousand of the UK’s lowest paid workers are to be back paid as we continue to build a Northern Ireland, and wider United Kingdom, that works for everyone.
The 360 employers named today are:
Debenhams Retail plc, London NW1, failed to pay £134,894.83 to 11,858 workers.
Pembrokeshire Care Limited, Haverfordwest SA61, failed to pay £55,056.75 to 154 workers.
Mr Lorenzo Berni trading as Osteria San Lorenzo, London SW3, failed to pay £53,496.57 to 29 workers.
Tag Hotel Limited trading as Aviator Hotel, Farnborough GU14, failed to pay £32,094.17 to 37 workers.
WH Recruitment Ltd, Portadown BT62, failed to pay £26,418.67 to 143 workers.
Drivecheck Limited, Hull HU11, failed to pay £24,363.36 to 6 workers.
Dr Lakbir Singh and Mr Devinder Singh trading as Nutwood Cottage Day Nursery, Lincoln LN6, failed to pay £22,082.16 to 11 workers.
Mrs Helen Dey, Mrs Karen Clark, Mr Harry Clark, Miss Jessica Clark & Miss Jennifer Dey trading as Tiny Turners Nurseries, Stockton-on-Tees TS18, failed to pay £20,740.90 to 54 workers.
Community Integrated Care, Widnes WA8, failed to pay £19,774.78 to 69 workers.
Mr Anthony Y Lloyd & Mrs Peta S Lloyd trading as Fallowfield Country House Hotel, Abingdon OX13, failed to pay £19,436.88 to 6 workers.
Feversham Arms Limited trading as Feversham Arms Hotel, York YO62, failed to pay £19,407.32 to 31 workers.
Gary Hedley, Mr Arthur Murray & Mrs Shirley Murray trading as Gary Hedley Hairdressing, Newcastle-Upon-Tyne NE1, failed to pay £18,539.40 to 27 workers.
Crossroads Caring Scotland - Clackmannan, Alloa FK10, failed to pay £17,685.38 to 40 workers.
Industria Personnel Services Ltd, Leicester LE1, failed to pay £14,377.34 to 1,837 workers.
Tasman Limited, London W1N, failed to pay £11,799.57 to 1 worker.
Glover’s Bakery Limited, Preston PR5, failed to pay £11,320.33 to 2 workers.
Mrs Elizabeth Purkis trading as The Buttonhole, Chorley PR7, failed to pay £9,946.28 to 1 worker.
Delicatezza Limited trading as Peri Peri Original, Middlesbrough TS1, failed to pay £9,687.66 to 7 workers.
Mr James Wilson trading as R J Cleaning, Lincoln LN6, failed to pay £8,739.38 to 16 workers.
Moncur Reece Ltd, Middlesbrough TS4, failed to pay £8,092.26 to 1 worker.
Mrs Eileen Beresford trading as E M Beresford Livery, Sandbach CW11, failed to pay £7,978.99 to 1 worker.
Calderdale and Huddersfield NHS Foundation Trust, Kirklees HD3, failed to pay £7,500.95 to 1 worker.
The Kangaroo Club Limited, Ilkley LS29, failed to pay £7,396.45 to 2 workers.
Mr Sean Bennett trading as Bennetts Seafood Bar & Grill, Warrenpoint BT34, failed to pay £7,300.15 to 25 workers.
Boran-Mopack Limited, Strabane BT82, failed to pay £6,779.05 to 1 worker.
Northcote Hotel Limited, Blackburn BB6, failed to pay £6,621.82 to 22 workers.
Wollaton Village Day Nurseries Limited, Nottingham NG8, failed to pay £6,609.91 to 1 worker.
Places for Children Limited trading as The Meadows Nursery Schools, Eastbourne BN22, failed to pay £6,339.65 to 4 workers.
Lotus Care Home Limited, Stanmore HA7, failed to pay £6,167.37 to 1 worker.
Peak Active Sport Limited, Glossop SK13, failed to pay £6,064.18 to 5 workers.
Willow Park Childrens Nurseries Limited trading as Willow Park Montessori Nursery, London SE9, failed to pay £6,027.40 to 1 worker.
Thermal Heating Maintenance Limited, Bolton BL6, failed to pay £5,963.85 to 2 workers.
- Heron Foods Limited, North Ferriby HU14, failed to pay £5,899.50 to 15 workers.
- WiCastr Limited, London EC1R, failed to pay £5,877.23 to 1 worker.
- ABC Children’s Day Nursery Limited, Huddersfield HD4, failed to pay £5,834.08 to 5 workers.
- Mrs Margaret Danks trading as Shine Hair Company, Belfast BT8, failed to pay £5,811.95 to 1 worker.
- Tailored Care Limited, Telford TF7, failed to pay £5,788.72 to 95 workers.
- The Swan Hotel (Newby Bridge) Limited, Ulverston LA12, failed to pay £5,674.29 to 14 workers.
- Mr Peter Kilmartin trading as PK Motor Services, Aylesbury HP21, failed to pay £5,476.33 to 1 worker.
- Mr Kevin Falconer & Mrs Victoria Falconer trading as CD Scooters, Brighton BN2, failed to pay £5,434.70 to 1 worker.
- Mr Arthur Race & Mr Chris Race trading as Race Joinery, Auckland Park DL14, failed to pay £5,303.36 to 1 worker.
- Euro Catering Parts Ltd, Oldham OL8, failed to pay £5,005.63 to 1 worker.
- Q Hotels Services Limited, Leeds LS27, failed to pay £4,579.76 to 1 worker.
- Mr Mark Buckler trading as MB Auto Electrics, Southport PR8, failed to pay £4,549.07 to 1 worker.
- Rail Vision (Europe) Ltd, Castle Donington DE74, failed to pay £4,470.69 to 2 workers.
- Mr Lawrence Peter Meer trading as Central Auto Repair Services, Worthing BN14, failed to pay £4,449.11 to 1 worker.
- Mark Scott Salons Limited, Derby DE1, failed to pay £4,387.16 to 2 workers.
- Fusion Heating Limited, Belfast BT23, failed to pay £4,353.69 to 2 workers.
- Mr Michael Whitbread trading as Divers Down, Torquay TQ1, failed to pay £4,287.67 to 1 worker.
- Mr Graham Steel trading as Snack Attack, Clacton-on-Sea CO15, failed to pay £4,221.78 to 1 worker.
- Sara Motors Limited, Brierley Hill DY5, failed to pay £4,221.00 to 1 worker.
- E Hanna Limited trading as Brandywell Day Nursery, Crowborough TN6, failed to pay £4,002.50 to 1 worker.
- Mr Russell Evans & Mrs Lynne Evans trading as Glanmor’s Bakery, Caerphilly CF83, failed to pay £3,959.70 to 1 worker.
- Paradise School Trust trading as Paradise Primary School, Dewsbury WF12, failed to pay £3,856.18 to 4 workers.
- Mrs Leanne Thomas-Pughsley trading as UC Better Window Cleaning, Kidwelly SA17, failed to pay £3,750.60 to 1 worker.
- Eggco Ltd, West Bromwich B70, failed to pay £3,749.26 to 2 workers.
- West Street Enterprises Ltd trading as Subway, Sheffield S1 4EU, failed to pay £3,728.55 to 18 workers.
- Whittaker Golf Club, Littleborough OL15, failed to pay £3,676.01 to 2 workers.
- Mrs Melanie Ferri trading as Rapport Hair & Beauty, Middlesbrough TS3, failed to pay £3,642.18 to 1 worker.
- Stephen’s Family Butchers Ltd, St Ives PE27, failed to pay £3,542.90 to 3 workers.
- Little Legs Limited, Brentwood CM13, failed to pay £3,432.95 to 1 worker.
- Solo Hair Team Otley Ltd, Otley LS21, failed to pay £3,358.16 to 1 worker.
- London Letting & Management Ltd trading as Marlin Apartments, London SE1, failed to pay £3,352.60 to 1 worker.
- Don’t Panic (Ldn) Limited, London E1, failed to pay £3,310.61 to 1 worker.
- Poole Plumbing Ltd, Poole BH16, failed to pay £3,276.00 to 1 worker.
- Adamsons Law Limited, Bolton BL1, failed to pay £3,161.67 to 1 worker.
- Istanbul Kebab House Limited, Leicester LE3, failed to pay £2,841.66 to 2 workers.
- Health & Fitness Travel Ltd, London SW18, failed to pay £2,732.09 to 1 worker.
- Beaumont Healthcare Limited, St Neots PE19, failed to pay £2,640.06 to 2 workers.
- Fleet Dynamic Consultancy Limited, St Helens WA9, failed to pay £2,574.49 to 1 worker.
- Laura Anderson Limited trading as Virgo Home Improvements, Bradford BD4, failed to pay £2,558.25 to 3 workers.
- Daniel Jordan London Limited, Sevenoaks TN13, failed to pay £2,471.58 to 1 worker.
- Lakenheath Fab Limited, Lakenheath IP22, failed to pay £2,297.71 to 1 worker.
- Nexen Lift Trucks Limited, Lowestoft NR33, failed to pay £2,261.84 to 2 workers.
- Peacock Stores Limited, Langholm DG13, failed to pay £2,256.58 to 42 workers.
- Simpson Hilder Associates Limited, Lyndhurst SO43, failed to pay £2,208.50 to 1 worker.
- Screensaver (UK) Limited, Gainsborough DN21, failed to pay £2,200.80 to 1 worker.
- Mrs Aneta Elizbieta Luzarova trading as Majka Polish Shop, Llanybydder SA40, failed to pay £2,193.10 to 1 worker.
- Winford Manor Hotel Limited, Bristol BS40, failed to pay £2,182.90 to 3 workers.
- Aquaa Partners Limited, London W1J, failed to pay £2,142.38 to 2 workers.
- Static Solutions Limited, Barnsley S72, failed to pay £2,136.94 to 4 workers.
- Mrs Ravinder Rai trading as Langley Park Village Store, Durham DH7, failed to pay £2,123.13 to 1 worker.
- Wilkes Cleaning Services Limited, Wakefield WF5, failed to pay £2,118.73 to 17 workers.
- Barlborough Parish Council Management Committee, Chesterfield S43, failed to pay £2,038.36 to 1 worker.
- T. Long & Co. Limited trading as White Hall Farm, Wymondham NR18, failed to pay £2,016.70 to 1 worker.
- Pure Enfield Limited, Enfield EN4, failed to pay £1,909.20 to 1 worker.
- Sunbeams Limited trading as Sunbeams Day Nursery, Leeds LS15, failed to pay £1,891.19 to 3 workers.
- Fresh Salon Crewe Ltd, Crewe CW2, failed to pay £1,890.32 to 1 worker.
- Jonathan Richard Edward Briscoe trading as Brampton Hall Farm, Norwich NR10, failed to pay £1,790.98 to 1 worker.
- The Stanneylands Hotel (Previous Owners), Wilmslow SK9, failed to pay £1,790.61 to 2 workers.
- Rumour Expresso Bar Ltd, Armagh BT61, failed to pay £1,779.85 to 5 workers.
- Ballarino Limited trading as Salvo & Alex, Reading RG1, failed to pay £1,761.70 to 2 workers.
- Age Concern Newcastle-Upon-Tyne NE1, failed to pay £1,737.32 to 1 worker.
- Mr Miles Tarpey, Mr David Slade and Mr Jason Hallowes trading as Slades Estate Agents, Christchurch BH23, failed to pay £1,717.59 to 1 worker.
- K.L. Engine Centre Limited, Kings Lynn PE30, failed to pay £1,715.20 to 1 worker.
- Rowan Care Services Limited trading as Prestige Nursing Wakefield, WF1, failed to pay £1,701.15 to 14 workers.
- Three Oceans Fish Company Limited, Hull HU3, failed to pay £1,678.09 to 1 worker.
- Greencore Grocery Limited, Hull HU7, failed to pay £1,675.50 to 22 workers.
- Harvey & Bacon Limited, Ashford TN24, failed to pay £1,622.14 to 2 workers.
- Q’s Entertainment Ltd, Redhill RH1, failed to pay £1,581.22 to 1 worker.
- Great Sutton Garage Northwest Limited, Ellesmere Port CH66, failed to pay £1,579.73 to 1 worker.
- Ms Lauren Elwis trading as Hair Flair, Sheffield S6, failed to pay £1,574.65 to 1 worker.
- Westminster Homecare Limited, London NW9, failed to pay £1,547.81 to 47 workers.
- JD3D Limited, Bristol BS1, failed to pay £1,547.70 to 1 worker.
- Mr John Preston trading as Sculptur, Glasgow G12, failed to pay £1,537.70 to 1 worker.
- T Gillibrand (Blackburn) Limited, BB1, failed to pay £1,536.18 to 1 worker.
- Mattocks Water Services Ltd, Hebden Bridge HX7, failed to pay £1,521.41 to 1 worker.
- Good Condition Limited, Lincoln LN3, failed to pay £1,517.25 to 1 worker.
- Penkz Limited, Harrow HA2, failed to pay £1,495.57 to 1 worker.
- Muldoon Transport Systems Limited, Dungannon BT71, failed to pay £1,468.25 to 7 workers.
- Perco Task 1 Ltd trading as Subway, Durham DH1 5EJ, failed to pay £1,468.03 to 1 worker.
- Mrs Edwina Atkinson trading as Edwina’s Cakes, Richmond DL10, failed to pay £1,460.17 to 1 worker.
- Bourne Valley Nursery School Limited, Salisbury SP4, failed to pay £1,439.09 to 1 worker.
- Mr Sujith Ratnasingam trading as Wok Express, High Wycombe HP13, failed to pay £1,413.83 to 1 worker.
- First Stop Restaurants Limited trading as Bel’s Diner, Orpington BR6, failed to pay £1,410.32 to 1 worker.
- The Castle Hotel (Taunton) Limited, Taunton TA1, failed to pay £1,404.77 to 4 workers.
- Trimline Systems (Yorkshire) Ltd, Hull HU9, failed to pay £1,398.59 to 2 workers.
- Craze Lifestyle Ltd trading as Trend Two, Leeds LS9, failed to pay £1,377.56 to 3 workers.
- Platinum Health & Fitness (UK) Limited, Newhaven BN9, failed to pay £1,372.28 to 1 worker.
- Saint Flooring Limited, Winsford CW7, failed to pay £1,359.98 to 1 worker.
- Loungers Limited, Bristol BS1, failed to pay £1,327.24 to 4 workers.
- Longreef Ltd trading as mC’m Hairdressing, Edinburgh EH1, failed to pay £1,311.91 to 1 worker.
- Mrs Charmaine V Doherty trading as Causeway Coach Hire, Ballymoney BT53, failed to pay £1,307.50 to 10 workers.
- Mr Anthony Tompkins trading as Artisan Haircutters (Watford), Watford WD17, failed to pay £1,294.48 to 1 worker.
- Collective Minds (London) Limited, Leicester LE8, failed to pay £1,286.79 to 1 worker.
- Dalkeith Retail Centre Limited, Dalkeith EH22, failed to pay £1,286.03 to 1 worker.
- The St Mirren Football Club, Paisley PA3, failed to pay £1,277.10 to 1 worker.
- C S Drinks Ltd, Grange-Over-Sands LA11, failed to pay £1,270.49 to 1 worker.
- Beadles Joinery Limited, Chatham ME5, failed to pay £1,248.34 to 1 worker.
- Luca Monte Limited trading as Zia Nina, Bridgend CF31, failed to pay £1,238.53 to 1 worker.
- Sammy Mellon and Sons Limited, Bangor BT20, failed to pay £1,236.00 to 1 worker.
- Advisalink Ltd, Southampton SO14, failed to pay £1,230.12 to 1 worker.
- Shannons Bakers Limited, Barking IG11, failed to pay £1,227.17 to 2 workers.
- Ms Anna Corrigan, Taunton TA1, failed to pay £1,196.43 to 1 worker.
- Belleveue Mortlakes Limited, Enfield EN2, failed to pay £1,193.47 to 1 worker.
- Mrs Zoe Hopewell trading as The Cutting Room, Birmingham B36, failed to pay £1,189.98 to 1 worker.
- Jigsaws Childcare Ltd, Tadcaster LS24, failed to pay £1,181.44 to 6 workers.
- B.C. Plant Limited, Hillsborough BT26, failed to pay £1,180.63 to 5 workers.
- Tily Carpentry and Property Maintenance, Bristol BS37, failed to pay £1,177.84 to 3 workers.
- Subwey (sic) Southampton Ltd trading as Subway, Southampton SO14 3HE, failed to pay £1,174.86 to 79 workers.
- Right Lettings Company Limited, Rushden NN10, failed to pay £1,167.07 to 1 worker.
- Macleodbradley Limited, Manchester M20, failed to pay £1,166.46 to 1 worker.
- Lanhydrock Golf Club Limited trading as Lanhydrock Hotel & Golf Club, Bodmin PL30, failed to pay £1,130.65 to 1 worker.
- Ralph Spence trading as Ralphs Hairdressing, West Malling ME19, failed to pay £1,124.18 to 1 worker.
- Hogarths Hotel Limited trading as Hogarths Hotels, Solihull B93, failed to pay £1,104.94 to 1 worker.
- Apex Prime Care Ltd, Romsey S051, failed to pay £1,087.48 to 1 worker.
- Herbel (Northern) Limited trading as KFC, Aberdeen AB10 1QT, failed to pay £1,068.13 to 23 workers.
- Mane Hairdressing (Pontefract) Ltd trading as Mane Hairdressing, Pontefract WF8, failed to pay £1,063.88 to 2 workers.
- Mr Andrew Smith trading as AS Golf, Nuneaton CV10, failed to pay £1,060.32 to 1 worker.
- Tower Boots London Ltd, London N22, failed to pay £1,027.00 to 1 worker.
- Woolacombe Bay Holiday Village Limited trading as Woolacombe Bay Holiday Park, Woolacombe EX34, failed to pay £1,024.82 to 7 workers.
- Sevacare (UK) Limited, Wolverhampton WV9, failed to pay £1,006.24 to 1 worker.
- Ministry of Waxing Limited trading as Ministry of Waxing, London WC2H, failed to pay £988.00 to 1 worker.
- Simply Together Limited, Chesham HP5, failed to pay £986.80 to 2 workers.
- Chic Dry Cleaners Ltd trading as Chic, Kingston-upon-Thames KT1, failed to pay £974.50 to 1 worker.
- Kumla Limited trading as Subway, Northampton NN1 2EA, failed to pay £971.31 to 46 workers.
- Headroom Hairdressing Limited, Grantham NG31, failed to pay £963.49 to 2 workers.
- Mr Stephen Wortley & Mrs Siobhan Wortley trading as Wisteria House Residential Home, Yeovil BA22, failed to pay £962.59 to 1 worker.
- Mrs Anu Thapa trading as Anu Beauty, Northampton NN5, failed to pay £954.54 to 1 worker.
- Bedfordshire Educational Academy Limited, Luton LU1, failed to pay £937.29 to 2 workers.
- Villa Scalini Ltd trading as Villa Italia, Belfast BT7, failed to pay £928.41 to 1 worker.
- Highbullen Hotel Limited trading as Highbullen Hotel Golf & Country Club, Umberleigh EX37, failed to pay £907.23 to 8 workers.
- Mrs Gaynor Griffin trading as The Cuddly Cod, Manchester M7, failed to pay £897.97 to 1 worker.
- F & K Care Limited trading as First Nursery, Leeds LS7, failed to pay £888.34 to 4 workers.
- S&J Bastian trading as Marwell Hotel, Winchester SO21, failed to pay £883.27 to 1 worker.
- Hatzfeld Care Limited, Newark NG24, failed to pay £877.09 to 4 workers.
- Mrs Paula Leverton trading as Fourwinds Equestrian Centre, Spalding PE11, failed to pay £876.42 to 1 worker.
- Mr Denzil Evans trading as Litter Master, Cheltenham GL53, failed to pay £875.93 to 1 worker.
- M & M (MCR) Ltd, Manchester M17, failed to pay £871.00 to 1 worker.
- Tivnor Limited trading as Café Naaz, Wath-upon-Dearne S63, failed to pay £859.26 to 4 workers.
- Engineering Recruitment Services Ltd trading, Middlesbrough TS3, failed to pay £857.64 to 1 worker.
- H.K.S Retail Limited, Leicester LE1, failed to pay £842.42 to 10 workers.
- Eventmore Limited, Bury BL9, failed to pay £834.16 to 1 worker.
- Uno Cars Ltd trading as Uno Cars, London E14, failed to pay £830.69 to 1 worker.
- Mrs Heather Dakin trading as Chantelle, Bridport DT6, failed to pay £828.69 to 1 worker.
- Wilfreda Luxury Coaches Limited trading as Wilfreda Beehive, Doncaster DN6, failed to pay £827.32 to 3 workers.
- Mr Mohammed Choudhury trading as Good Response, Milton Keynes MK2, failed to pay £825.04 to 1 worker.
- Aspire Agency LLP trading as Aspire Estate Agents, Rayleigh SS6, failed to pay £824.03 to 1 worker.
- Eat Fresh Merry Hill Limited trading as Subway, Dudley DY5 1QX, failed to pay £814.27 to 12 workers.
- Blackwater Bars Limited trading as Idols, Swansea SA1, failed to pay £795.04 to 20 workers.
- SM Hair Salons Limited trading as Sally Montague Hair Group, Derby DE1, failed to pay £782.07 to 2 workers.
- Hadengrange Limited trading as Winkworth, Forest Row RH18, failed to pay £780.36 to 2 workers.
- Brian O’Loughlin Ltd trading as Thomas’s Bakery, Dalton-in-Furness LA15, failed to pay £779.75 to 9 workers.
- Mr Timothy P Maskrey trading as Peak Fruits, Hope Valley S32, failed to pay £776.35 to 1 worker.
- The ECO Roof and Wall Company Limited, Nottingham NG8, failed to pay £770.50 to 1 worker.
- Miss Zoe Bass, Leeds LS25, failed to pay £767.34 to 2 workers.
- Canefield Ltd trading as McDonald’s, Birmingham B44 0AA, failed to pay £759.98 to 46 workers.
- Dean Fielding Builders Limited, Alkborough DN15, failed to pay £738.53 to 1 worker.
- Mr John & Mrs Yvonne Elliott trading as John Elliott and Sons, Beith KA15, failed to pay £736.31 to 1 worker.
- Apollo Care (Wirral) Ltd, Birkenhead CH41, failed to pay £733.81 to 1 worker.
- Loljack Ltd trading as Cash Converters, Sheffield S6, failed to pay £682.56 to 4 workers.
- Wastesavers Limited trading as Wastesavers, Newport NP19, failed to pay £682.51 to 1 worker.
- IPS Umbrella Limited trading as Income Plus Group, Doncaster DN6, failed to pay £676.80 to 1 worker.
- Mrs Christine Pinion trading as Molly Mumbles, Holmes Chapel CW4, failed to pay £674.55 to 3 workers.
- Crouch Street Hair & Beauty Salon Ltd trading as Faces Hair & Beauty, Colchester CO3, failed to pay £668.91 to 1 worker.
- Gobstoppers Trading Limited trading as Gobstoppers, Radlett WD7, failed to pay £665.09 to 1 worker.
- Mrs Trudy McHugh trading as The Salon at the Barbers, Eastleigh SO50, failed to pay £662.47 to 2 workers.
- Wykeham Staff Services Limited, Spalding PE12, failed to pay £660.76 to 16 workers.
- Lambourne Golf Club (Previous Owner), Slough SL1, failed to pay £660.59 to 1 worker.
- Bula Restaurants Limited trading as The Ditton, Surbiton KT6, failed to pay £653.24 to 9 workers.
- Xingui Limited trading as Jasmine House, Chichester PO19, failed to pay £649.38 to 1 worker.
- Padiwacks.co.uk Ltd trading as Padiwacks, Burnley BB12, failed to pay £642.78 to 1 worker.
- Aber House Ltd trading as Sam’s Grill House, Caerphilly CF83, failed to pay £636.30 to 1 worker.
- Elfordleigh Limited trading as Elfordleigh Hotel:Golf:Leisure, Plymouth PL7, failed to pay £630.23 to 4 workers.
- M.D.T. Electrical Limited, Cardiff CF11, failed to pay £627.28 to 1 worker.
- YUM! Restaurants International Limited trading as KFC, Surbiton KT6 5LR, failed to pay £623.10 to 1 worker.
- Pauline Daniels trading as AAI Care, Portland DT5, failed to pay £622.37 to 1 worker.
- Mrs Mary Macphail trading as Hair Progress, Nottingham NG6, failed to pay £619.94 to 1 worker.
- A Class Care Limited, Cambridge CB25, failed to pay £618.30 to 1 worker.
- Mr Acerjit Singh trading as Acetech, Luton LU1, failed to pay £598.00 to 1 worker.
- Mrs Helen Boi trading as Colori, York YO24, failed to pay £592.74 to 1 worker.
- Adam Askey Ltd trading as Adam Askey, Solihull B37, failed to pay £575.07 to 1 worker.
- Wales Interactive Limited, Pencoed CF35, failed to pay £571.77 to 1 worker.
- The Winking Prawn Group Limited trading as The Winking Prawn, Salcombe TQ8, failed to pay £561.48 to 1 worker.
- ABC Cars (WFLD) Ltd trading as ABC Cars, Wakefield WF1, failed to pay £539.87 to 1 worker.
- CCR&L Inns Ltd trading as The Millstone Inn, Stamford PE9, failed to pay £531.88 to 1 worker.
- Bay Care Domiciliary Care Ltd, Paignton TQ3, failed to pay £529.62 to 1 worker.
- Lincoln College Corporate Support Solutions Limited, Lincoln LN2, failed to pay £526.51 to 1 worker.
- Mr Mohan Sahota trading as Toni’s Fish Bar, Peterborough PE2, failed to pay £522.86 to 1 worker.
- Ms Joleyn Kelly trading as Joleyn’s Hair Studio, Warrington WA1, failed to pay £517.89 to 1 worker.
- Beauty Temple (Nottingham) Limited, Nottingham NG1, failed to pay £508.60 to 13 workers.
- Abarna Beauty Care Ltd, Wembley HA0, failed to pay £501.21 to 1 worker.
- Intermusica Artists Management Limited, London N1, failed to pay £499.11 to 1 worker.
- Mend Your Motor Limited, Stafford ST17, failed to pay £498.96 to 1 worker.
- Mrs Jacqueline Williams and Mr Roco Paul Williams trading as JR’s, Bradford BD5, failed to pay £496.90 to 1 worker.
- Mr Marcus Hobbs trading as Pride in Care, Rhosymere LL14, failed to pay £493.77 to 1 worker.
- Penhellis Community Care Limited, Helston TR13, failed to pay £479.53 to 3 workers.
- Perth Honda Limited, Perth PH1, failed to pay £474.10 to 1 worker.
- H.R.H Nurseries Ltd, Girton CB3, failed to pay £472.10 to 1 worker.
- Cornfields Day Nursery Limited, Huddersfield HD7, failed to pay £462.78 to 5 workers.
- Sirox Limited trading as Shakeaway, Trowbridge BA14, failed to pay £460.97 to 1 worker.
- Salcombe Harbour Hotel Ltd, Salcombe TQ8, failed to pay £455.69 to 2 workers.
- Mr Bijumon K Varghese trading as The Curry Leaf, Exeter EX4, failed to pay £446.22 to 1 worker.
- Little Care Bearz Nursery Limited, Birmingham B12, failed to pay £446.10 to 1 worker.
- Chennai Chutney Limited, Harrow HA2, failed to pay £445.43 to 1 worker.
- Marches Home Care Services Ltd, Leominster HR6, failed to pay £445.40 to 1 worker.
- Café Destino Limited, Hook RG29, failed to pay £444.78 to 3 workers.
- My Peace Mills Limited trading as Peace Mills Care Home, Nottingham NG5, failed to pay £443.78 to 19 workers.
- Berties (Romsey) Ltd, Romsey SO51, failed to pay £436.01 to 1 worker.
- Usfor Design & Print Limited, Newquay TR8, failed to pay £434.06 to 1 worker.
- Outlook Windows Limited, Hemel Hempstead HP3, failed to pay £426.52 to 1 worker.
- Euro Garages Limited, Blackburn BB1, failed to pay £424.00 to 1 worker.
- 118 Limited, Cardiff CF10, failed to pay £422.21 to 1 worker.
- Arthur Anthony Kitchens Ltd, Chelmsford CM2, failed to pay £419.52 to 1 worker.
- Kippax Welfare Sports & Social Club, Leeds LS25, failed to pay £414.41 to 9 workers.
- Contact Centre 33 Ltd, Sheffield S3, failed to pay £404.32 to 2 workers.
- Mr Andrew David James & Mrs Rachel Elizabeth James trading as Andrew James Eventing, Biggleswade SG18, failed to pay £404.24 to 1 worker.
- Eva (Scotland) Ltd trading as Valentini’s Fast Food Pizzeria, Glasgow G77, failed to pay £403.78 to 7 workers.
- United Protection (UK) Security Limited, Stoke-on-Trent ST1, failed to pay £402.04 to 1 worker.
- Mr Vahap Firat trading as Café Cockburn, Edinburgh EH1, failed to pay £398.70 to 1 worker.
- The-Salon.Net Limited, Rowley Regis B65, failed to pay £396.77 to 1 worker.
- Corporate Food Company Limited, Pentre CH5, failed to pay £394.25 to 1 worker.
- Casa Care Limited trading as Carewatch South Warwickshire, Leamington Spa CV32, failed to pay £382.77 to 4 workers.
- Caledonia Enterprise Limited trading as The Tartan Lodge, Glasgow G31, failed to pay £380.00 to 1 worker.
- Majestic Aluminium Finishing Limited, Walsall WS2, failed to pay £372.10 to 2 workers.
- Sriven Services Ltd trading as Subway, Bradford BD10 9AP, failed to pay £370.67 to 18 workers.
- Mrs Amanda Hume trading as House of Usher, Morpeth NE65, failed to pay £369.17 to 1 worker.
- D & R Services (NW) Limited, Wallasey CH44, failed to pay £367.59 to 2 workers.
- Sohan S Kular Ltd trading as Custom House Restaurant, Londonderry BT48, failed to pay £365.16 to 9 workers.
- Mr Mark & Mrs Lynne McDowell trading as McDowell’s Butchers, Carrickfergus BT38, failed to pay £359.49 to 3 workers.
- Rylease Limited, Croydon CR0, failed to pay £357.21 to 1 worker.
- C Morris, H S Morris, B J Iddon, K J Locke & H S Murray trading as Morris’s of Coppull, Chorley PR7, failed to pay £357.09 to 2 workers.
- Orange Indigo Limited trading as FS Furniture, Stoke-on-Trent ST13, failed to pay £353.55 to 1 worker.
- Full House Restaurants Ltd trading as Domino’s Pizza, Woking GU21, failed to pay £342.30 to 1 worker.
- A3D2 Ltd trading as Bar Soho, London W1D, failed to pay £341.26 to 1 worker.
- Footprints Learning for Life Ltd, Hartlepool TS24, failed to pay £339.85 to 4 workers.
- Mr Vagelis & Mrs Anne Dimopoulos trading as The Snack Shack, Huddersfield HD1, failed to pay £338.58 to 1 worker.
- Coles HD Beauty Limited, Plymouth PL6, failed to pay £336.66 to 2 workers.
- McHenry’s Central Bar Ltd, Ballycastle BT54, failed to pay £330.24 to 1 worker.
- Dixxi Express Ltd, Batley WF17, failed to pay £329.49 to 1 worker.
- Mitchells & Butlers Retail (No 2) Limited trading as Harvester The Lowry, Birmingham B31, failed to pay £329.10 to 2 workers.
- Mrs Kadambari Suri trading as Worlington Hall Country Hotel, Bury St Edmunds IP28, failed to pay £323.07 to 1 worker.
- The Coffee Shop (Blyth) Limited trading as Chapel Bakery, Wallsend NE28, failed to pay £313.81 to 1 worker.
- Miss Leanne Ryan trading as Burrows Lane Farm Equestrian Centre, Prescot L34, failed to pay £313.47 to 1 worker.
- La Bella OT Limited, Thornton Heath CR7, failed to pay £310.55 to 1 worker.
- Fone Customize Ltd, Ringwood BH24, failed to pay £307.75 to 2 workers.
- The Moore Hall Playschool Ltd, Andover SP10, failed to pay £300.73 to 1 worker.
- D & D Childcare Services Limited trading as Angels Nursery, Leeds LS7, failed to pay £298.78 to 1 worker.
- Thamesline Couriers Limited, Slough SL1, failed to pay £297.91 to 4 workers.
- New Cleaners Limited, Loughborough LE11, failed to pay £287.00 to 1 worker.
- Hair Avantgarde Limited, Walsall WS6, failed to pay £285.99 to 1 worker.
- Curran Court Hotel Limited (Previous Owners), Larne BT40, failed to pay £282.88 to 3 workers.
- Creative Entertainment Ltd trading as CeX, London E17, failed to pay £282.25 to 1 worker.
- Dark Sky Park Ltd trading as House o’ Hill Hotel, Newton Stewart DG8 6RN, failed to pay £279.63 to 1 worker.
- Miss Ashton Pragnell trading as Retro Hair and Beauty, Portchester PO16, failed to pay £279.15 to 1 worker.
- GHSL Ltd trading as Braeside Services, Glasgow G61, failed to pay £271.20 to 2 workers.
- Creativ3 Merchandise Ltd, Carrickfergus BT38, failed to pay £268.18 to 1 worker.
- T & T Hand Car Wash Limited, Harlow CM20, failed to pay £264.19 to 3 workers.
- The Network (Field Marketing & Promotions) Company Limited, Hounslow TW6, failed to pay £253.01 to 1 worker.
- Sensee Ltd, London W4, failed to pay £252.00 to 1 worker.
- Starcare Limited, Chester CH3, failed to pay £251.36 to 1 worker.
- Digi-Cat Media Ltd, Ashford TN23, failed to pay £249.99 to 1 worker.
- Miss Sherry Higgins trading as Cleanability, Croydon CR5, failed to pay £248.54 to 1 worker.
- Amanda Cunliffe Solicitors Limited, Macclesfield SK11, failed to pay £248.39 to 5 workers.
- BS Care Limited, Havant PO9, failed to pay £242.22 to 2 workers.
- Riverside Group (London) Limited, London SE16, failed to pay £234.00 to 1 worker.
- Mr Alan & Mrs Sue Dawe trading as Heirs & Graces Day Nursery, St Helens WA10, failed to pay £232.52 to 1 worker.
- Mr Mazen Elthaar trading as Georgio’s, Grimsby DN41, failed to pay £231.92 to 1 worker.
- Femiyabs Limited trading as Broodspring, Doncaster DN7, failed to pay £230.23 to 1 worker.
- Norton Café Ltd, Stockton-on-Tees TS20, failed to pay £228.63 to 2 workers.
- Dhadkan Bollywood Club Ltd, Leicester LE4, failed to pay £225.58 to 4 workers.
- Rebecca Rolfe trading as Cut to the Chase Hair Design, Norwich NR6, failed to pay £221.88 to 1 worker.
- Central Compensation Office Limited, Bury BL9, failed to pay £220.73 to 1 worker.
- Harmony Care and Support Limited, Nottingham NG10, failed to pay £214.33 to 1 worker.
- All About The Water Limited trading as Swanage Wimpy, Swanage BH19, failed to pay £211.51 to 2 workers.
- London Agege Bread Bakers Limited, London SE7, failed to pay £210.00 to 1 worker.
- Flunch London Ltd trading as Café Deco, London SW7, failed to pay £204.35 to 1 worker.
- Z.E.X. (Yorkshire) Ltd trading as CeX, Wakefield WF1, failed to pay £202.60 to 3 workers.
- Mr Darren Childs, Monmouth NP25, failed to pay £192.50 to 1 worker.
- Jaguna Ltd trading as The Swan Hotel, Bradford on Avon BA15, failed to pay £188.59 to 2 workers.
- Chipatiso Associated LLP, London E12, failed to pay £185.38 to 1 worker.
- JFMerchants Ltd trading as Bin Ella Wine and Champagne Bar, Faversham ME13, failed to pay £184.25 to 1 worker.
- Robert Hughes trading as Autostop Tyres & Exhaust Centre, Porth CF39, failed to pay £182.00 to 1 worker.
- Stuart Holmes Limited trading as Stuart Holmes Salon, Cheltenham GL50, failed to pay £180.75 to 1 worker.
- The Human Support Group Limited trading as Homecare Support, Manchester M20, failed to pay £177.35 to 1 worker.
- Highfield House Care Home Limited, Durham DH6, failed to pay £176.40 to 9 workers.
- Unit Medic-Aids Ltd, Halesowen B63, failed to pay £176.24 to 1 worker.
- Community Sport Ltd trading as Elletson Publishing, Poulton-le-Fylde FY6, failed to pay £175.42 to 2 workers.
- Mr Mohammed Asghar trading as Owler Lane Convenience Store, Chadderton OL9, failed to pay £174.20 to 1 worker.
- Urban 1/4 Ltd, Sheffield S3, failed to pay £173.18 to 1 worker.
- Individualised Care Ltd, London N22, failed to pay £172.80 to 1 worker.
- Mr Chris Race trading as Race Joinery, Auckland Park DL14, failed to pay £171.88 to 1 worker.
- Stephen Vaughan trading as Harborough Autos, Market Harborough LE16, failed to pay £169.21 to 1 worker.
- Mr Thirunavukkarasu Kulandaisamy trading as Esses Mini Market, Derby DE22, failed to pay £164.82 to 2 workers.
- Comfort Call Limited trading as Birbeck House, Nottingham NG8, failed to pay £164.46 to 2 workers.
- ADR Care Homes Limited, St Neots PE19, failed to pay £164.24 to 1 worker.
- Selected Food & Wine Limited, London SW17, failed to pay £164.15 to 1 worker.
- Dawsons (Wales) Ltd, Gwynedd LL49, failed to pay £162.86 to 2 workers.
- Tulip Care Ltd trading as Woolston Mead House, Liverpool L22, failed to pay £162.50 to 1 worker.
- St Albans Pre-School, Sutton SM1, failed to pay £159.28 to 1 worker.
- UP Fitness Limited trading as, London W1K, failed to pay £157.46 to 1 worker.
- Humberside Independent Care Association Limited trading as Hica at Home, Hull HU2, failed to pay £152.17 to 1 worker.
- Fitness Kitchen Swindon Ltd, Swindon SN1, failed to pay £149.61 to 1 worker.
- Security Resource Solutions Ltd, Northampton NN3, failed to pay £149.50 to 1 worker.
- The Midcounties Co-operative Limited, Warwick CV34, failed to pay £143.62 to 1 worker.
- Connollys General Builders Limited, Liverpool L4, failed to pay £142.71 to 1 worker.
- ASG Subway Limited trading as Subway, Sheffield S10 2HP, failed to pay £141.95 to 10 workers.
- YESSS Home Improvements Ltd, Glasgow G52, failed to pay £140.70 to 1 worker.
- Mr Robin Revill trading as The Crusty Loaf, Coleford GL16, failed to pay £138.62 to 8 workers.
- Mr Tanvir Mohudin Sheikh trading as Millhouses Post Office, Sheffield S7, failed to pay £137.97 to 2 workers.
- Daisy Chain Childcare Limited, Leeds LS26, failed to pay £137.00 to 2 workers.
- Ms Lorraine Pearson trading as Keyworth Tavern, Nottingham NG12, failed to pay £133.65 to 1 worker.
- Brandussocial Limited, London W1H, failed to pay £132.11 to 1 worker.
- Reading Island Bar Limited, Reading RG4, failed to pay £130.00 to 1 worker.
- Mr Kenneth Karl Belcher trading as MBFI Plumbing Services, Didcot OX11, failed to pay £130.00 to 1 worker.
- PMC Repair Specialists Limited, Bognor Regis PO22, failed to pay £128.96 to 1 worker.
- Mr Rui Carrola & Mrs Paula Carrola trading as Ristorante Carola, London SE3, failed to pay £123.69 to 1 worker.
- Slough Southern Fried Chicken Limited trading as Southern Fried Chicken & Pizza, Slough SL1, failed to pay £121.34 to 2 workers.
- Chiefs Chicken Leeds Ltd, Leeds LS6, failed to pay £120.56 to 1 worker.
- Bestrade Manchester Ltd, Manchester M8, failed to pay £118.64 to 1 worker.
- Mayfair Residential Care Home Limited, Scarborough YO11, failed to pay £115.04 to 1 worker.
- Leone Investments Ltd trading as Don Arancini, London E20, failed to pay £113.75 to 1 worker.
- McGrady Limited, Downpatrick BT30, failed to pay £113.33 to 1 worker.
- Lloyds Pharmacy Limited, Coventry CV2, failed to pay £110.67 to 1 worker.
- Holistic Wellness Limited, Preston PR4, failed to pay £107.26 to 1 worker.
- Calibre Recruitment Limited trading as Calibre International, London WC2H, failed to pay £104.40 to 1 worker.
- Lotus Encounters Limited trading as Avant Garde, Glasgow G1, failed to pay £103.85 to 1 worker.
- Mr Kazi Kalimur Rahaman trading as K Rahaman & Co, London NW4, failed to pay £103.67 to 1 worker.
- Primadell Limited trading as Gran Caffe Londra, London SW1X, failed to pay £103.08 to 1 worker. The publication comes weeks after the Government launched a £1.7 million national minimum and living wage awareness-raising campaign, encouraging the UK’s lowest paid workers to check they are being paid the correct rates and to report their employer if they are not. Since the naming and shaming scheme was introduced by the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy (BEIS) in October 2013, more than 1,000 employers have been named, with arrears totalling more than £4.5 million. More than £2 million in fines have been issued to national minimum and living wage offenders. There are currently more than 1,500 open cases which HMRC is investigating.
Notes to editors
- Employers have a duty to be aware of and comply with the different legal national minimum and living wage rates. If workers are concerned that they are not being paid the correct rates or if employers need more information about the legal requirements then they can seek advice from Acas: www.acas.org.uk/nmw
- Any complaints that are raised with Acas will be referred to HMRC who will investigate.
- HMRC follows up on every complaint made to Acas.
- More than 1,500 cases are currently being worked on by HMRC and eligible employers will be named and shamed after their cases have been closed.
- Sectors which feature prominently in this naming and shaming round are:
- hospitality: 84 employers, £240,516.64 arrears for 563 workers
- retail: 51 employers, £220,103.78 arrears for 167 workers
- hairdressing: 39 employers, £65,964.20 arrears for 85 workers
- social care: 24 employers, £43,636.90 for 145 workers
- The current minimum wage rates are:
- National Living Wage (25 years and over) - £7.20 per hour
- adult rate of National Minimum Wage (21 to 24-year-olds) - £6.95 per hour
- 18 to 20-year olds - £5.55 per hour
- 16 to 17-year-olds - £4.00 per hour
- apprentice rate - £3.40 per hour
- Rates are set to increase on 1 April to:
- National Living Wage (25 years and over) - £7.50 per hour
- adult rate of National Minimum Wage (21 to 24-year-olds) - £7.05 per hour
- 18 to 20-year-olds - £5.60 per hours
- 16 to 17-year-olds £4.05 per hour
- apprentice rate £3.50 per hour
- The Government is committed to ensuring all employers are compliant with minimum wage legislation and the effective enforcement of it:
- over the next year the Government will spend a record £25.3 million on minimum wage enforcement
- in January, the Government appointed Sir David Metcalf as the first ever Director of Labour Market Enforcement to oversee a crackdown on workplace exploitation
- in November last year, labour market enforcement undertakings and orders came into force under the Immigration Act which can ultimately lead to criminal prosecutions and prison sentences of up to two years for employers who mistreat their workers, including national minimum wage violations
- The revised BEIS scheme to name employers who break minimum wage law came into effect on 1 October 2013. The scheme is one of a range of tools at the Government’s disposal to tackle this issue. Employers who pay workers less than the minimum wage not only have to pay back arrears of wages to the worker at current minimum wage rates but also face financial penalties of up to 200% of arrears, capped at £20,000 per worker. In the most serious cases employers can be prosecuted.
- From 1 October 2013, the Government revised the naming scheme to make it simpler to name and shame employers who break the law:
- Under this scheme the Government will name all employers that have been issued with a Notice of Underpayment (NoU) unless employers meet one of the exceptional criteria or have arrears of £100 or less. All 360 cases named today (15 February) failed to pay the correct national minimum or living wage rates and owed arrears of at least £100.
- Employers have 28 days to appeal to HMRC against the NoU (this notice sets out the owed wages to be paid by the employer together with the penalty for not complying with minimum wage law). If the employer does not appeal or unsuccessfully appeals against this NoU, BEIS will consider them for naming. The employer then has 14 days to make representations to BEIS outlining whether they meet any of the exceptional criteria:
- Naming by BEIS carries a risk of personal harm to an individual or their family;
- There are national security risks associated with naming in this instance;
- Other factors which suggest that it would not be in the public interest to name the employer.
- If BEIS does not receive any representations or the representations received are unsuccessful, the employer will be named via a BEIS press release under this scheme.
- Further information about the revised BEIS NMW naming scheme.