Reappointment of Chairman of Remploy Ltd
This was published under the 2010 to 2015 Conservative and Liberal Democrat coalition government
Ian Russell, CBE has been reappointed for a further five years as Chairman of Remploy when his current appointment ends on 7 January 2012.
Ian Russell, CBE has been reappointed for a further five years as Chairman of Remploy when his current appointment ends on 7 January 2012. Remploy is one of the UK’s leading providers of employment opportunities for disabled people.
From 2001 until 2006, Ian was Chief Executive of Scottish Power PLC, having previously been the Group Finance Director from 1994 until 2001. A Chartered Accountant by profession, he has had a career in finance working for companies such as HSBC, Mars Limited, and KPMG.
The appointment of the Remploy Chairman is the responsibility of the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions. The reappointment has also been approved by the Commissioner for Public Appointments.
Notes for Editors:
- Remploy Ltd is an Executive Non-Departmental Public Body (NDPB), sponsored by the Department for Work and Pensions. It receives a grant-in-aid each year in exchange for delivering Work Choice. Remploy delivers this support by operating as a commercial organisation with 54 business sites and also by providing support to disabled people working with other employers through its Employment Services business.
- Ian Russell was originally appointed as Chairman of Remploy on 7 January 2007. His reappointment as Chairman is for a further 5 year period. The appointment will begin on 8 January 2012.
- All appointments are made on merit and political activity plays no part in the selection process. However, in accordance with original Nolan recommendations, there is a requirement for appointees’ political activity (if any) to be made public. Mr Russell has declared he does not undertake any political activity.
- Mr Russell does not hold any other Ministerial appointments.
- Mr Russell has chosen to undertake both his initial appointment and this reappointment as Remploy Chair without any remuneration.