World news story
Rationalisation of notarial and documantary services in Montenegro
This was published under the 2010 to 2015 Conservative and Liberal Democrat coalition government
From 1 March 2014 notarial services that can be performed by alternative providers in Montenegro will not be offered by British Embassy Podgorica.
With effect from 1 March 2014, notarial and documentary services that can be performed by an alternative provider in Montenegro, for example by Notaries Public or English solicitor, will no longer be offered by the British Embassy in Podgorica.
This is part of the FCO’s 2013-16 consular strategy to modernise the delivery of our services and focus our consular resources on assisting vulnerable categories of British citizens in Montenegro. This might include minors, the elderly, people with mental health problems, or victims of serious crime abroad. In order to free-up staff time to do this we will no longer provide transactional services where they are available locally.
We will continue to provide the following notarial and documentary services:
- certifying copies of British passports
- providing true copies of educational certificates issued in the UK
- various ‘Informative Notes’ & ‘Letters’
- registering a birth
- issuing a certified copy of an entry in the Consular Register of Births
- registering a death
- issuing a certified copy of an entry in the Consular Register of Deaths
- receiving a notice of an intended marriage
- issuing a Certificate of no impediment to an intended marriage
The following notarial services will be offered to British citizens only in cases when alternative provider in Montenegro, Notaries Public or English solicitor, are not be able to provide the required service:
- witnessing a signature
- administering an oath, declaration or affirmation
- marking of exhibits and uniting documents
These changes will modernise the delivery of our services and help free up resources so we can focus on providing assistance to customers who need our help most. This list, as well as a list of alternative providers of notarial and documentary services in Montenegro, can be found in our detailed guide.