A1 southbound, Diddington to Little Paxton, Cambridgeshire: Surveys
We are carrying out carriageway surveys on the southbound A1 between Diddington and Little Paxton overnight on Tuesday 24th November. During the work, there will be lane closures.
A47 North Burlingham: Lay-by closure
Work to close and remove the lay-by located opposite Lingwood Road Junction, East of North Burlingham will be carried out from Monday 23 November to Monday 30 of November from 9pm to 5pm. The work will be carried out off-peak during the daytime away from the main carriageway, using 4-way temporary traffic signals.
A14 Ipswich, Suffolk: Orwell Bridge safety improvements
Work to introduce a new speed limit, improve road markings and install new traffic signs as part of a package of measures to improve safety on the A14 Orwell Bridge in Suffolk starts on 30 November and is expected to complete by the end of February 2016. This work will also see the installation of average speed cameras enforcing a new speed limit of 60mph.
Preparation work will start on 23 November. Most of the work will be carried out overnight involving lane closures between junctions 56 to 57 with some minor work taking place on the verges during the day.
M11, A14, Cambridgeshire: Improvements
A package of work to carry out resurfacing, safety barrier renewal, bridge repairs, embankment repairs, replacing and installing new signs, repairing damaged kerbs and replacing road markings on the A14 and M11 in Cambridgeshire, begins on Monday 16 November and will continue until the end of June. The work is part of Highways England’s commitment to improve safety and ensure better journey experiences across the East region’s busiest roads.
Work on the A14:
- repair the embankment at A1307 Huntingdon Road to repair an earth slip in addition to refurbishing works to the bridge. There will be an overnight closure to install some safety barrier and a lane closure and 40mph speed limit in place 24 hours a day with lane 2 remaining open. During the full closure (between 8pm & 6am) the traffic will be diverted southeast towards the B1049, then north to junction 32 of the A14, west to the A428 and exit on the A14 westbound.
- repair the embankment at Grange Farm A14 J31. A mixture of full road and lane closures between 8pm and 6am (on weekdays). During the full closures traffic will be diverted west to the A1198 south to the A428 and then east to the A14 J32 returning to J31. During the lane closures traffic will still be able to access Cambridge via Huntingdon Road and the A14 West.
- resurface the road and putting down new road markings between junctions 29 and 31. The road will be closed eastbound at junction 29 to 31 from 9pm to 6am (on weekdays). Traffic for Bar Hill & the Village of Lolworth will be able to exit at junction 29 and then travel west on the A14. Traffic for the A14 East and the M11 south will exit at junction 29 and be diverted west on the A14 to junction 23 (Huntingdon) south to the A1 at Brampton Hut onto the A1 south to the A428 heading east returning to the A14. Traffic for the M11 south will leave at the A1303 Madingley Road and re-join the M11 south at junction 13.
M1, A421, A5, Bedfordshire: Improvements
A package of works to repair or resurface carriageways, replace and install new signs, replace road markings, upgrade lighting cables and install new LED lighting heads on the M1, A421 and A5 in Bedfordshire started last month and is planned for completion in January 2016. The work is part of Highways England’s commitment to improve safety and ensure better journey experiences across the East region’s busiest roads.
Work on the M1 at junction 13
Work to install new road markings on the M1 junction 13 southbound exit slip road. The slip road will be closed to complete the works and traffic will be diverted via M1 junction 14, A509, A4146, A421 back to M1 junction 13.
Work on the A421 Salford Road
Work to install new weight limit and directional signs on the A421. A combination of lane closures and carriageway closures will be required to complete the works. When the A421 eastbound is closed traffic will be diverted via A421 westbound, A4146, A509 and M1 junction 13. When Salford Road westbound is closed traffic will be diverted via A421, A5130 and Broughton Road. When the A421 westbound exit slip road is closed traffic will be diverted via A421 eastbound to Husborne Crawley.
Work on the A5 between Little Brickhill and A505 Roundabout
Work to resurface the carriageway, laybys and replace road markings on the A5 is taking place between Sheep Lane Roundabout and Hockliffe. Safety Improvement works at Tebworth Turn will also take place. The A5 will be closed in both directions between the A5 at Sheep Lane Roundabout and the A505 roundabout between 8pm and 6am. Traffic will be diverted via the A505, A4146 and A5. Local residents who require access will be escorted past the roadworks.
Work on the A5 Abbey Hill Roundabout, Milton Keynes
Work to upgrade lighting cables, replace lighting heads with LED type and remove redundant columns will be carried out on the roundabout slip roads. It will be necessary to close the slip roads between 8pm and 6am and traffic will be diverted via the A509 Portway Interchange or the Old Stratford Roundabout.
A5-M1 Link (Dunstable Northern Bypass), Bedfordshire: Major improvements
We are building a new 2.9-mile, two-lane dual carriageway running from north of Dunstable and joining the M1 at a new junction 11a, south of Chalton. Main construction started in March 2015.
Work on the M1:
We have started work on the new M1 junction. The traffic management, including safety barriers, signs, CCTV and average speed cameras, will stay in place throughout the junction construction work, which will be carried out in phases and should be finished in spring 2017 as the scheme nears completion. There will also be overnight lane closures when required, which will be clearly signed.
Work on the A5:
On the A5, travelling from the A505, roundabout traffic has been realigned and now runs on the east side of the carriageway on one lane in each direction to allow for embankment work.
In addition, there are three-way traffic lights at the A5/A505 roundabout, north of Dunstable, weeknights only between 8pm and 6am, to allow construction of the western verge for a cycleway and footway.
Work on local roads:
On the A5 and A505 roundabout there are three-way traffic lights between 8pm and 6am.
On the A5120 Bedford Road and Sundon Road (East of the M1) there are two-way traffic lights between 9.30am and 3.30pm.
On Luton Road (B579) there are two-way traffic lights between 10am and 3pm.
On the new Luton Road near Vauxhall there are two way traffic lights between 9.30am – 3.30pm.
Work on the major improvement is due to complete in spring 2017. For more information, visit the scheme website.
A5 Dunstable: Surveys
We are carrying out carriageway surveys on the A5 at Chalk Hill from Frenches Avenue to A505 Leighton Buzzard Roundabout overnight from Monday 16 to Tuesday 17 November. During the work, there will be two-way traffic lights on the A5.
A11 Red Lodge, Suffolk: Barrier replacement
There will be overnight lane closures on A11 in Cambridgeshire so barrier replacement work can be carried out safely. The work, which will involve taking down the old central reserve barrier, and installing a new one, will take place between the A11/A14 junction and the Cambridgeshire/Suffolk border, near Red Lodge, and will be finished before Christmas.
During the work, lane 2 of the A11 will be closed in both directions weeknights only between 8pm and 6am.
A14 Haughley (Woolpit): Pavement surveys
Work to carry out pavement investigation surveys on the eastbound and westbound A14 at junction 47A and Moonbridge lane continues. The work will be carried out between 9pm and 6am for 11 nights. During the work there will be lane closures along the A14.
A14 Girton to Histon (junctions 31 to 32): Lane gain scheme, finishing off works
Work to add an additional lane on the A14 in each direction between Girton and Histon and improve slip roads onto the M11 and A14 was completed on Friday 10 April.
We are carrying out some finishing off work around the scheme. While we carry out this work, there will be some overnight east or westbound slip road closures at junctions 32 and 31 between 8pm and 6am, with clearly signed diversions, and some overnight lane closures during the same hours.
A14 Cambridge to Huntingdon improvement scheme: topographical surveys
From 19 October to 19 January we will be carrying out topographical, drainage & pavement surveys for the A14 Cambridge to Huntingdon improvement scheme.
These surveys allow us to map the layout and level of the existing road, drainage network and adjacent land, as well as understand the ground we will be building on, so that we can fully understand the landscape we will be working in and finalise the design of the new road.
Surveys will be taking place along the whole of the scheme route, this includes the land where the new Huntingdon Southern Bypass would be built and the existing A1 and A14 that form part of the scheme. Surveys of the existing route will require lane closures in both directions and will take place at night only (between 8pm and 6am) to minimise any disruption to traffic. No heavy machinery or plant equipment will be used.
Lane closures are currently scheduled overnight on:
- Monday 23 November: A14 both directions, junction 22 (Brampton) – junction 19 (Spaldwick) (pavement survey) A1 southbound, Brampton Hut – Buckden (drainage survey)
- Tuesday 24 & Wednesday 25 November: M11 junction 14 and A14 junction 31 (Girton) – A14 junction 28 (Swavesey) (pavement survey)
- Wednesday 25 & Thursday 26 November: A1 northbound, Buckden to Brampton Hut (drainage survey)
- Thursday 26 & Friday 27 November: A14 westbound, junction 28 (Swavesey) – junction 27 (Fenstanton) (pavement survey)
- Friday 27 November: A14 both directions, junction 22 (Brampton) – junction 19 (Spaldwick) (drainage survey)
Further surveys are planned and information will be shared when available.
A138 Chelmer Village, Chelmsford, Essex: Chelmer Viaduct replacement
Work to rebuild the viaduct at Chelmer on the A138 started on 17 March 2015. The major improvement work on the Chelmer Viaduct in Chelmsford will take approximately 18 months to complete.
The reinforced deck construction is currently underway and earthworks are well advanced either side of the main viaduct structure.
All site work is carried out off-line so daytime traffic is not affected by the ongoing works.
For further details, visit the scheme website.
Highways England is working with the industry and road users to reduce the risks of working on the roads. For the safety of road workers and all road users, when you are approaching roadworks:
- keep within the speed limit – it is there for your safety.
- get into the correct lane in good time – don’t keep switching.
- concentrate on the road ahead, not the roadworks.
- be alert for works’ traffic leaving or entering roadworks.
- keep a safe distance – there could be queues in front.
- observe all signs – they are there to help you.
Members of the public should contact the Highways England customer contact centre on 0300 123 5000.
Journalists should contact the Highways England press office on 0844 693 1448 and use the menu to speak to the most appropriate press officer.