The following summary of planned new and ongoing road improvements over the coming week is correct as of 13 March but could be subject to change due to weather conditions or unforeseen circumstances. All our improvement work is carried out with the aim of causing as little disruption as possible.
M1 junction 15 to 19, Northamptonshire: Central reserve work
From 4 August to summer 2015 there will be various restrictions in place to allow for the construction of a reinforced concrete barrier in the central reserve. These include speed restrictions, narrow lanes and hard shoulder running. This week the following full closures will be in place from 9pm to 6am each night:
- Monday 16 March there will be a closure of J16 exit slip road northbound.
- Wednesday 18 March there will be a closure of junction 15 entry slip road northbound.
- Thursday 19 March there will be a closure of junction 15 exit slip road southbound.
- Friday 20 March there will be a closure of junction 15 entry slip road northbound.
- Monday 16 to Thursday 19 March there will be a full closure of the M6 to M1 southbound link road.
M1 junction 19 at Catthorpe, Leicestershire: Major improvement works
Between now and autumn 2016 there will be various hard shoulder, lane or carriageway closures while the new junction is built.
- from 14 March to 2 April the eastbound carriageway of the Rugby Road between the Catthorpe Road junction and the western Dumbbell roundabout will be closed from 8pm to 12 midnight
- on 21 March the A14 to M6 westbound carriageway will be closed between the western roundabout and the M6 on slip at M1 junction 19 will be closed from Saturday 8pm to Sunday 2pm
- on 21 March the M1 northbound entry slip at junction 18 will be closed from 9pm to 1am
- on 21 March the M1 to M6 northbound link road will be closed from 9pm to 8am
- on 21 March the M6 eastbound carriageway closed between junction 1 and the M1 from 9pm to 8am
M1 Junction 21, Leicester: Bridge construction
From 16 February to 31 March there will be overnight carriageway or lane closures on either or both carriageways from 8pm to 8am.
M1 Junction 23a to Jct 24a, Leicestershire: Survey works
From 26 January to 30 April there will be lane closures and exit slip road closures north and southbound from 10pm to 6am.
M1 junction 28 to 31 and 32 to 35a, Nottinghamshire/Derbyshire/Yorkshire: Smart Motorway
Until Winter 2016 there will be various restrictions in place on the M1 between junctions 28 and 35a to allow for the construction of the Smart Motorway. These include lane closures, speed restrictions, hard shoulder running and overnight slip road or carriageway closures. Until March 2015 there will be various restrictions in place on the M18 between junction 0 and 2. These include lane closures, speed restrictions, hard shoulder running and overnight slip road or carriageway closures. This week the following full closures will be in place:
- from Monday 16 March to 20 March the M1 southbound junction 29a entry will be closed overnight from 8pm to 6am;
- the A38 westbound from M1 junction 28 to Bramble Way will closed from 8pm – 6am Monday 16 March.
- on Tuesday 17 March the M1 southbound junction 28 entry slip closed from 8pm – 6am.
- the A38 from McArthur Glen will be closed to junction 28 on Tuesday 17 March.
- Mansfield Road from South Normanton to Junction 28 closed overnight Wednesday 18 March.
- on Thursday 19 March the M1 southbound junction 31 entry slip will be closed overnight from 8pm – 6am;
- the M1 northbound junction 28 exit slip closed from 8pm – 6am on Monday 16, Thursday 19, Friday 20 and Saturday 21 March.
- on Sunday 22 March the M1 southbound junction 30 exit slip will be closed.
M45 between J1 and M1 J17, Northamptonshire/Warwickshire: Barrier installation
From 11 December 2014 to March 2015 barrier installation will be carried out. The westbound carriageway will be closed overnight, from 8pm to 6am on 13 November. Two further closures will take place in 2015. At all other times there will be closures of lane one and the hard shoulder. Traffic will be diverted from the M1 j16 along the A45 around Daventry to rejoin the M45 at J1.
M45 Dunchurch to M1 J17, Northamptonshire: Carriageway repairs
From 9 February to 20 May there will be a number of restrictions on the eastbound carriageway including overnight carriageway closures from 8pm to 6am, or 24/7 closures of the hard shoulder and lane one with a 50mph speed limit. During full closures traffic will be diverted via the A45 to Daventry and Weedon to join the M1 at J16.
A1 Elkesley, Nottinghamshire: Junction improvement
Between now and September 2015 various restrictions will be in place including lane closures, carriageway closures, narrow lanes and a 40mph speed limit.
A1 Harlaxton to Barrowby, Lincolnshire: Survey works
From 1 March to 23 March there will be a lane 1 closure northbound and verge works on the southbound exit slip from 8pm – 6am.
A1 Beacon Hill Road, Coddington, Nottinghamshire: Construction
From 10 March to 11 June there will be a 24/7 exit slip road closure.
A1 Ranby, Nottinghamshire: Investigative works
From the 16 March to 21 March there will be a 24/7 Lay-By closure.
A1 Long Bennington, Lincolnshire: Carriageway repair
From 16 March to 19 March there will be a lane 1 or 2 closure southbound from 8pm – 5am.
A1 Stamford to Tickencote, Rutland County: Carriageway repair
From 17 March to 18 March there will be a lane 1 closure northbound from 8pm – 5am.
A1 Long Bennington, Lincolnshire: Carriageway repair
From 18 March to 19 March there will be a lane 1 closure northbound from 8pm – 5am.
A5 Caldecote, Warwickshire: Junction improvement
From 16 February 2014 to 31 March 2015 lane closures and two way traffic signals will be in place while the junction is improved.
From 15 March to 1 April there will be daytime lane closures on the southbound carriageway between 8am and 5pm, a 24/7 50mph speed limit and layby closures.
A14 junction 7-9 Kettering Bypass, Northamptonshire: Widening
A number of overnight closures will be taking place until April 2015. Please note these are provisional dates and are subject to change.
There will be a full 24/7 closure of the Junction 8 westbound exit slip from 8pm Friday 13 March for three days opening at 6am Monday 16 March.
There will be a full night time closure of the eastbound carriageway between J7 and J9 from Monday 16 March 8pm until Tuesday 17 March 6am and a full night time closure of the westbound carriageway between J9 and J7 from Tuesday 17 March 8pm until Wednesday 18 March 6am.
Drivers are asked to follow the signed diversion routes during these closures. Please do not use SatNavs when following the diversion.
Traffic is now running in lanes 1 and 2 in both directions between junctions 9 and 7 of the A14 to provide the necessary working space for the central reserve. Due to safety and recovery restrictions, drivers of HGV vehicles are required to use lane 1 only on both the eastbound and westbound carriageways. A free vehicle recovery service is also in place and drivers are advised to remain in their vehicle until assistance arrives. A 24-hour 40mph speed limit is being enforced by average speed cameras and will remain in place until the end of the scheme to protect road users and road workers as they complete remaining work on the westbound carriageway.
A14 junction 12-13, Nene Viaduct, Northamptonshire: Bridge works
From 9 March to 3 May there will be overnight carriageway closures between 8pm and 6am. Only one carriageway will be closed at a time although dates and direction of the closures will be dictated by the works found on inspection of the bridge. Diversions will be the A45 at Junction 13 to Irthlingborough then onto the A6 to rejoin the A14 at Jun 10, or vice versa.
A42, J13 - Jct 23a M1, Leicestershire: Litter clearance
From 14 March to 29 March there will be lane closures north and southbound from 6am – 12pm.
A42 Finger Farm Idland to Jct 13, Leicestershire: Carriageway repair
From 19 March to 20 March there will be a carriageway closure southbound from 8pm – 5am.
A43 Padbury Roundabout to Ardley Roundabout, Oxfordshire: Improvement scheme
From 27 October to 20 March 2015 there will be various overnight lane and carriageway closures in place on both carriageways from 8pm to 6am.
A45 Great Billing, Northamptonshire: Resurfacing
From 9 to 16 March there will be overnight closures of the northbound carriageway between 8pm and 6am. Traffic will be diverted via Barnes Meadow onto the A428, and A509 to rejoin the A45 at junction 14 Little Irchester.
A45 Chowns Mill roundabout, Northamptonshire: Surveys
From 11 March to 1 April there will be lane closures during the day from 9.30am to 3.30pm and again at night from 8pm to 6am.
A45 Irchester to Wilby Way, Northamptonshire: Surveys
From 14 March to 29 March there will be slip road closures and lane 1 or 2 closures northbound and southbound from 8pm – 6am.
A45, M1 Jct 15 - A45 Jct 1, Northamptonshire: Carriageway repair
From 16 March to 20 March there will be a carriageway closure and entry slip road closure northbound from 8pm – 6am. Traffic wanting to join northbound M1 from A45 to travel via Wootton to Queen Eleanor and follow diversion to junction 15A
A45 Wootton to Weston Favell, Northamptonshire: Carriageway and bridge repairs
From 19 March to 3 April there will be a carriageway closure northbound or southbound and lane 3 closure southbound from 8pm – 6am. Eastbound exit at Brackmills follow diversion route through Industrial Estate to rejoin A45 at next junction (Barnes Meadow Interchange) and for west Bound traffic a reverse of the route.
A52 Bingham, Nottinghamshire: Resurfacing
From 2 March to 13 April there will be overnight closures of either the east or westbound carriageway between Saxondale roundabout and the junction of the A52 with Grantham Road, Bingham. Access to Bingham and surrounding villages will be maintained. Through traffic will be diverted via the A1 to Newark and A46 to Bingham, or vice versa. Closures take place from 8pm to 6am each night.
A52 Barrowby, Lincolnshire, to Saxondale, Nottinghamshire: Resurfacing
From 9 March to 11 April there will be full overnight road closures from 8pm to 6am.
A453 widening from M1 junction 24 to A52: Major improvement work
- on 16 March A453 Clifton Lane entrance and exit onto Crusader roundabout will be closed
- 19 March M1 junction 24 to EM Parkway will be closed from 8pm to 5.30am
- 20 March M1 junction 24 to EM Parkway will be closed from 9pm – 5.30am
M1 Junction 24
There will be various closures in place at Junction 24 at night times from 8pm – 5.30am on Thursday 19 March and 9pm to 5.30am on Friday 20 March. During these closures, traffic going to or from Nottingham is advised to travel via the A52 and junction 25. Traffic travelling along the A6 to or from Loughborough should go via the A512 and junction 23.
- 16 March to 18 March the A50 westbound closed between M1 junction 24 and junction 24A
- 19 March the M1 southbound exit slip road closed
- 20 March the M1 southbound exit slip road closed
- 19 March the M1 southbound entry slip road closed
- 20 March the M1 southbound entry slip road closed
- 19 March M1 northbound entry slip road closed
- 20 March M1 northbound entry slip road closed
- 19 March A50 to M1 northbound exit slip road closed
- 20 March A50 to M1 northbound exit slip road closed
- 19 March A6 between Station Road, Kegworth, and junction 24 closed
- 20 March A6 between Station Road, Kegworth, and junction 24 closed
A52 Clifton lane to Nottingham Knight roundabout
From 16 March to 21 March there will be a carriageway closure east and westbound from 8pm – 6am due to safety fence repair.
M1 junction 24/A50 Approach Economy Scheme
The following full closures will be in place this week:
For details of all other lane closures and other traffic management visit the journey impact section of the scheme website.
Customers travelling to and from East Midlands Airport should allow extra time for their journeys during this work, particularly if they have a flight to catch. For real time traffic information visit our website.
Media wanting information about the Highways Agency’s routine maintenance projects should, in the first instance, check our website.
Members of the public should contact the Highways Agency Information Line on 0300 123 5000.
Journalists should contact the Highways Agency press office on 0844 693 1448 and use the menu to speak to the most appropriate press officer.