Media wanting information about Highways England’s routine maintenance projects should, in the first instance, check our website.
The following summary of planned new and ongoing road improvements over the coming week is correct as of 27 August 2015 but could be subject to change due to weather conditions or unforeseen circumstances. All our improvement work is carried out with the aim of causing as little disruption as possible.
M1 junction 15 to 19, Northamptonshire: smart motorways preparatory work
Until summer 2015, there will be various restrictions in place to allow for the construction of a reinforced concrete barrier in the central reserve. These include speed restrictions, narrow lanes and hard shoulder running.
- between Tuesday 1 September and Sunday 6 September from 9pm to 6am, there will be lane closures on the southbound carriageway between junction 15 and 16
- on Wednesday 2 September from 9pm to 6pm, there will be a closure on the M1 southbound between junction 16 and 15A
- on Thursday 3 September from 9pm to 6am, there will be a closure on the M1 northbound between junction 15 and 15A
- on Friday 4 September from 9pm to 6am, there will be a closure on the M1 southbound between junction 16 and 15A
- from 9pm on Saturday 5 September until 6am on Sunday 6 September, there will be lane closures on the M1 southbound between junction 19 and 18
M1 junction 19, Leicestershire: road improvement scheme
Between 9pm on Thursday 3 September and 6am on Friday 4 September, the M1 northbound carriageway will be closed between the junction 19 exit road to the M6 and the junction 19 entry road from the A14.
At the same time, the southbound carriageway will be closed between the M1 to A14 exit road and the M6 entry road at junction 19.
Northbound traffic will be diverted off the M1 at junction 19 onto the M6. Traffic will exit the M6 at junction 1 and head north on the A426 to the A5, where it will turn left and head north on the A5 to the roundabout with the A4303. Traffic will turn right onto the A4303 and re-join the M1 at junction 20.
Southbound traffic will be diverted off the M1 at junction 19 and will head right, through the junction, onto the M6. Travelling west on the M6, traffic will exit at junction 1 to join the M6 southbound and then re-join the M1.
The M1 southbound exit road will remain open, and M1 to A14 traffic will be unaffected. A14 to M1 northbound traffic will also be unaffected.
Additionally, from 8pm on Saturday 5 September until 6am the next day, the M6 northbound entry slip road from Dumbbells will be closed. A14 to M6 traffic will be diverted onto the M1 northbound carriageway, exiting at junction 20 onto the A4303. Following the A4303 to the A5, traffic will head south along the A5 to the roundabout with the A426. It will then follow the A426 to junction 1 of the M6.
M1 junction 24 to 25, Derbyshire: resurfacing
Each night between 8pm and 6am, from Tuesday 1 September until Friday 4 September, the southbound exit slip road will be closed at junction 25, as well as the eastbound slip at the A52. Diversions will be clearly signposted.
M1 junction 28 to 35a, Nottinghamshire/Derbyshire/Yorkshire: smart motorway
Until winter 2016, there will be various restrictions in place on the M1 between junctions 28 and 35a to allow for the construction of the smart motorway. These include lane closures, speed restrictions, hard shoulder running and overnight slip road or carriageway closures. This week, the following full closures will be in place:
- from Tuesday 1 September until Wednesday 2 September, the northbound exit slip road will be closed overnight at junction 28 from 8pm until 6am
- each night from Tuesday 1 September until Saturday 5 September, between 8pm and 6pm, the northbound entry slip road at junction 30 will be closed
- each night from Wednesday 2 September until Friday 4 September, the northbound entry slip road at junction 34 will be closed from 8pm until 6pm
- overnight from Wednesday 2 September until Thursday 3 September, the northbound entry slip road at junction 28 will be closed
- from 8pm on Friday 4 September until 6pm on Saturday 5 September, the southbound entry slip road at junction 33 will be closed
- between 8pm and 6am overnight from Saturday 5 September to Sunday 6 September, the southbound exit slip road will be closed at junction 28. At the same time, the junction 31 southbound up and over will be closed, as will the junction 31 entry slip road and the junction 31 exit slip road.
A14, junction 9 to junction 12, Northamptonshire: carriageway work
A full carriageway overnight closure on the A14 eastbound carriageway is required on the dates below from 8pm until 6am:
- the carriageway will be closed overnight from Tuesday 1 September until Wednesday 2 September between junctions 9 and 10. Traffic will be diverted at junction 9 onto the A509 and then onto the A510. From the A510, traffic will be diverted onto the A6 northbound, re-joining the A14 eastbound at junction 10
- the carriageway will also be closed on Thursday 3 September until Friday 4 September overnight between junctions 10 and 13. Traffic travelling on this route will be diverted onto the A6 southbound at junction 10, and then onto the A45 northbound, re-joining the A14 eastbound at junction 13
Laybys between junction 9 and 13 will be closed for safety of the workforce.
A43 Barley Mow to Towcester, Northamptonshire: drainage work
The southbound carriageway from Towcester to Silverstone will be closed overnight between 8pm and 6am on Wednesday 2, Thursday 3 and Friday 4 September. A clearly signposted diversion via the A5 and A421 will be in place.
A38 Watchorn interchange, Derbyshire: bridge work
Both carriageways will be closed overnight between 8pm and 6am until 21 September. Diversions will be clearly signposted.
Members of the public should contact the Highways England customer contact centre on 0300 123 5000.
Journalists should contact the Highways England press office on 0844 693 1448 and use the menu to speak to the most appropriate press officer.