Planned roadworks in East Midlands: weekly summary for Monday 20 July to Sunday 26 July 2015
This news article was withdrawn on
Summary of planned new and ongoing road improvements over the coming week.
Media wanting information about Highways England’s routine maintenance projects should, in the first instance, check our website.
The following summary of planned new and ongoing road improvements over the coming week is correct as of 17 July 2015 but could be subject to change due to weather conditions or unforeseen circumstances. All our improvement work is carried out with the aim of causing as little disruption as possible.
M1 junction 15 to 19, Northamptonshire: smart motorways preparatory work
Until summer 2015, there will be various restrictions in place to allow for the construction of a reinforced concrete barrier in the central reserve. These include speed restrictions, narrow lanes and hard shoulder running.
The following work is scheduled for this week:
- from Monday 20 July to Friday 24 July, the M1 will be closed southbound from junction 18 to junction 16 between 9pm and 6am
- on Thursday 23 July and Saturday 25 July, the M1 will be closed northbound from junction 16 to junction 18 between 9pm and 6am
M1 junction 19, Catthorpe interchange, Leicestershire: major improvement scheme
From Monday 13 July until Saturday 31 October, Swinford Road will be closed in the direction of the M6 from Catthorpe village and traffic will be diverted via the A5. Swinford Road will be open to traffic coming into the village from the M6.
From Thursday 23 July to Sunday 26 July, the A14 westbound between junction 2 and Catthorpe junction and the M6 southbound exit slip road to ‘dumbbells’ will be closed from 9pm to 6am.
M1 junction 24/A50 Approach Economy scheme
Work to improve the capacity and traffic flows at M1 Junction 24 is nearing completion. There will continue to be traffic management in place around the junction and its approaches at night times. There are no full closures over the next week.
Customers travelling to and from East Midlands Airport should allow extra time for their journeys during this work, particularly if they have a flight to catch. For real time traffic information, please visit our website.
M1 junction 24 diversions
The northbound exit slip road will be closed at junction 24 of the M1 between 8pm and 6am on 20 July and from 22 to 25 July. Diversions will be signposted.
M1 junction 28 to 35a, Nottinghamshire/Derbyshire/Yorkshire: smart motorway
Until winter 2016, there will be various restrictions in place on the M1 between junctions 28 and 35a to allow for the construction of the Smart Motorway. These include lane closures, speed restrictions, hard shoulder running and overnight slip road or carriageway closures. This week, the following full closures will be in place:
- Monday 20 July, the northbound entry slip road at junction 29a, the northbound exit slip road at junction 30 and the southbound entry slip road at junction 28 will be closed overnight. These closures will be between 8pm and 6am
- Tuesday 21 July, the southbound entry slip road at junction 28 will be closed between 8pm and 6am
- Wednesday 22 July, the southbound entry slip road at junction 35a and the southbound entry slip road at junction 29 will be closed between 8pm and 6am
- Thursday 23 July, the northbound entry slip road at junction 34 and the southbound entry slip road at junction 35 will be closed between 8pm and 6am
- Friday 24 July, the northbound entry slip road and the southbound exit slip road at junction 35 will be closed between 8pm and 6am. The northbound exit slip road at junction 29 will also be closed
- Sunday 26 July, the northbound entry slip road at junction 29 and northbound exit slip road at junction 29a will be closed between 8pm and 6am
M1 junction 21 to 20, Leicestershire: bridge repairs
From 28 May to 20 August, there will be a permanent closure of the hard shoulder with selected lane closures and 50mph speed restrictions between 8pm and 6am.
A38 Ripley, Derbyshire: carriageway repairs
The northbound entry slip road will be closed between 8pm on Monday 20 July and 6am on Tuesday 21 July.
Members of the public should contact the Highways England customer contact centre on 0300 123 5000.
Journalists should contact the Highways England press office on 0844 693 1448 and use the menu to speak to the most appropriate press officer.