Planned roadworks in East Midlands: weekly summary for Monday 17 to Sunday 23 August 2015
Planned new and ongoing road improvements over the coming week.
Media wanting information about Highways England’s routine maintenance projects should, in the first instance, check our website.
The following summary of planned new and ongoing road improvements over the coming week is correct as of 7 August 2015 but could be subject to change due to weather conditions or unforeseen circumstances. All our improvement work is carried out with the aim of causing as little disruption as possible.
M1 junction 15 to 19, Northamptonshire: smart motorways preparatory work
Until summer 2015, there will be various restrictions in place to allow for the construction of a reinforced concrete barrier in the central reserve. These include speed restrictions, narrow lanes and hard shoulder running.
On Wednesday 19 August and Saturday 22 August, the M1 northbound will be closed between junction 15a and 16 from 9pm to 6am.
On Thursday 20 August and Sunday 23 August, the M1 northbound will be closed between junction 15 and 15a from 9pm to 6am.
M1 junction 19, Catthorpe interchange, Leicestershire: major improvement scheme
From Monday 18 August to Saturday 22 August, the A14 westbound between junction 2 and Catthorpe junction and the M6 southbound exit slip road to ‘dumbbells’ will be closed from 8pm to 6am.
On Saturday 22 August, the M6 southbound will be closed at junction 1 from 9pm to 6am. M6 to A14 traffic will be diverted off at M6 junction 1 on to the A426 to M1 junction 20 and will head south, coming off the M1 at junction 19 on to A14. M6 to M1 traffic will be diverted off at M6 junction 1 on to the A426, turn right and will head south on A5 to M1 junction 18.
M1 junction 28 to 35a, Nottinghamshire/Derbyshire/Yorkshire: smart motorway
Until winter 2016, there will be various restrictions in place on the M1 between junctions 28 and 35a to allow for the construction of the smart motorway. These include lane closures, speed restrictions, hard shoulder running and overnight slip road or carriageway closures. This week, the following full closures will be in place:
- the southbound exit road at junction 28 will be closed overnight from 8pm until 6am each night from Monday 17 August until Friday 21 August
- the southbound up and over at junction 31 will be closed overnight from 8pm until 6am from Wednesday 19 August until Friday 21 August
- on Monday 17 August, the northbound exit road at junction 34 will be closed from 8pm to 6am
- on Tuesday 18 August, the M1 northbound junction 31 entry road and the northbound junction 33 entry road will be closed from 8pm until 6am
- on Wednesday 19 August the entry and exit roads at junction 31 southbound will be closed from 8pm until 6am
- on Thursday 20 August, the southbound entry road at junction 34 will be closed from 8pm until 6am
- on Friday 21 August, the southbound entry road at junction 33 will be closed from 8pm until 6am
- on Saturday 22 August, the northbound entry and exit roads at junction 31 will be closed from 8pm until 6am
A5, Crick to Magna Park, Leicestershire: diversion
A clearly-signed diversion route will be in place on the north and southbound carriageways between 9pm and 6am each night, due to work at M1 junction 19.
A14 Kettering to Kelmarsh, Northamptonshire: drainage work
There will be westbound carriageway and slip road closures between 3.30pm and 6am until 19 August for drainage work.
A38 Watchorn interchange, Derbyshire: bridge work
Both carriageways will be closed overnight between 8pm and 6am until September 21 for bridge work. Diversions will be clearly signposted.
A46 Newark, Nottinghamshire: carriageway work
There will be northbound carriageway closures between 7pm and 7am until 12 September for carriageway work.
A1 Elkesley, Nottinghamshire: junction improvement scheme
The northbound carriageway will be closed overnight from 8pm to 6am on Saturday 22 August.
A42, Leicestershire: carriageway work
The southbound carriageway will be closed between M1 junction 23a and A42 junction 13 from 8pm to 6am.
Members of the public should contact the Highways England customer contact centre on 0300 123 5000.
Journalists should contact the Highways England press office on 0844 693 1448 and use the menu to speak to the most appropriate press officer.