This news article was withdrawn on
Planned new and ongoing road improvements over the coming week.
Media wanting information about Highways England’s routine maintenance projects should, in the first instance, check our website.
The following summary of planned new and ongoing road improvements over the coming week is correct as of 9 October but could be subject to change due to weather conditions or unforeseen circumstances. All our improvement work is carried out with the aim of causing as little disruption as possible.
M1 junction 16 to 19, Northamptonshire: smart motorways preparatory work
There will be various restrictions in place to allow for the smart motorway preparatory work to be undertaken. These include speed restrictions, narrow lanes and hard shoulder running.
- from Monday 12 October to Thursday 15 October the northbound carriageway from junction18 to junction 19 will be closed including the northbound entry slip road from 9pm to 6am each night.
- on Friday 16 October the northbound exit slip road will be closed from 9pm to 6am Saturday morning.
Diversion route for M1 junction 18 to 20 northbound closure:
M1 northbound traffic will be diverted onto the A5 at junction 18. Traffic will follow the A5 to the roundabout of the A4303. Traffic will turn right at the roundabout, following the A4303 to re-join the M1 northbound at junction 20.
M1 junction 19, Leicestershire: road improvement scheme
From Monday 12 October to Wednesday 14 October the northbound carriageway will be closed between junction 19 exit slip road to the M6 and junction 19 entry slip road from the A14.
The M1 southbound carriageway will be closed between the M1 to A14 exit slip road and the M6 entry slip road at junction 19.
The closures will be in place from 8pm to 6am each night.
M1 northbound traffic will be diverted off the M1 at junction 19 onto the M6. Traffic will exit the M6 at junction 1 and head north on the A426 to the A5. Traffic will turn left and head north on the A5. Traffic will head north on the A5 to the roundabout with the A4303. Traffic will turn right onto the A4303 where it will re-join the M1 at junction 20.
M1 southbound traffic will be diverted off the M1 at junction 19. Traffic will head right, through the junction, onto the M6. Traffic will travel west on the M6 and exit at junction 1 where it will join the M6 southbound and re-join the M1.
The M1 southbound exit slip road will remain open and M1 to A14 traffic will be unaffected. A14 to M1 northbound traffic will also be unaffected.
M1 junction 28 to 35a, Nottinghamshire/Derbyshire/Yorkshire: smart motorway
Until winter 2016, there will be various restrictions in place on the M1 between junctions 28 and 35a to allow for the construction of the smart motorway. These include lane closures, speed restrictions, hard shoulder running and overnight slip road or carriageway closures. This week, the following full closures will be in place:
- Monday 12 October: junction 28 northbound exit slip road, junction 34 southbound entry slip road, junction 33 southbound exit slip road, junction 30 southbound exit slip road, and junction 30 southbound entry slip road will all be closed
- Tuesday 13 October: junction 28 northbound exit slip road, junction 34 northbound exit slip road, junction 34 southbound entry slip road: junction 30 southbound exit slip road, junction 30 southbound entry slip road closed
- Wednesday 14 October: junction 30 northbound exit slip road and junction 30 northbound entry slip road will be closed
- Thursday 15 October: junction 33 southbound exit slip road will be closed
- Friday 16 October: junction 33 southbound exit slip road and junction 33 southbound entry slip road will both be closed
- Saturday 17 October: delays expected - M1 northbound junction 28 and 29 on Friday 16 October at 6am to Saturday 17th October 10am. There will be one lane open until 10am then 2 lanes open during the day
- Sunday 18 October: M18 southbound to M1 northbound link closed and M1 junction 32 southbound exit slip will be closed
M69 junction 21 (M1), Leicestershire: survey works
On Monday 12 from 8pm to 6am Tuesday 13 October the eastbound link road will be closed.
A45 Billing to Earls Barton, Northamptonshire: maintenance work
On Monday 12 to Thursday 15 October the northbound carriageway will be closed each night from 8pm to 6am.
A46 Thrussington to Ratcliffe on the Wreake, Leicestershire: ground investigation works
On Monday 12 to Saturday 17 October the southbound exit slip raod will be closed from 8pm to 6am each night.
A46 Sixhills to Dalby, Leicestershire: carriageway repairs
On Friday 16 to Saturday 17 October the northbound entry slip road will be closed from 8pm to 5am.
A50 Warren Lane roundabout junction 24 (M1), Leicestershire: resurfacing
From Friday 16 to Saturday 24 October there will be westbound closures of the layby, lane and slip road from 8pm and 6am each night.
Members of the public should contact the Highways England customer contact centre on 0300 123 5000.
Journalists should contact the Highways England press office on 0844 693 1448 and use the menu to speak to the most appropriate press officer.