Media wanting information about Highways England’s routine maintenance projects should, in the first instance, check our website.
The following summary of planned new and ongoing road improvements over the coming week is correct as of 7 August 2015 but could be subject to change due to weather conditions or unforeseen circumstances. All our improvement work is carried out with the aim of causing as little disruption as possible.
M1 junction 15 to 19, Northamptonshire: smart motorways preparatory work
Until summer 2015, there will be various restrictions in place to allow for the construction of a reinforced concrete barrier in the central reserve. These include speed restrictions, narrow lanes and hard shoulder running.
Between Monday 10 August and Sunday 16 August, there will be overnight lane closures between junction 15 and 16.
M1 junction 19, Catthorpe interchange, Leicestershire: major improvement scheme
From 9pm on Monday 10 August, the M1 northbound carriageway will be closed between the junction 19 exit road and the entry road from the A14.
At the same time, the M1 southbound carriageway will be closed between the M1 to A14 exit road and the M6 entry at junction 19.
M1 northbound traffic will be diverted off the M1 at junction 19 onto the M6. Traffic will exit the M6 at junction 1 and head north on the A426 to the A5, then left and north on the A5 to the roundabout with the A4303. From there, turn right onto the A4303 where traffic can re-join the M1 at junction 20.
M1 southbound traffic will be diverted off the M1 at junction 19. Traffic will head right, through the junction, onto the M6, west on the M6 and exit at junction 1 where it will join the M6 southbound and re-join the M1.
The M1 southbound off slip will remain open and M1 to A14 traffic will be unaffected. A14 to M1 northbound traffic will also be unaffected.
M1 junction 24/A50 Approach Economy scheme
Customers travelling to and from East Midlands Airport should allow extra time for their journeys during this work, particularly if they have a flight to catch. For real time traffic information, please visit our website.
- from 8pm on Monday 10 August until 6am on Tuesday 11 August, the north-east section of junction 24, and the A453 from Parkway Junction to the M1 will be closed. The M1 southbound exit road here will also be closed
- from 8pm on 11 August until 6am on 12 August, the south bridge will be closed, as will the M1 northbound exit road
- from 8pm on 12 August until 6am on 13 August, the A6, from its junction with Side Ley at Kegworth, will be closed to junction 24. The M1 southbound entry road and northbound exit road will also be closed during this time
- from 8pm on 13 August until 6am on 14 August, the A453 northbound exit to junction 24 of the M1 will be closed, as will the cut-through entry onto the southbound A453
M1 junction 28 to 35a, Nottinghamshire/Derbyshire/Yorkshire: smart motorway
Until winter 2016, there will be various restrictions in place on the M1 between junctions 28 and 35a to allow for the construction of the Smart Motorway. These include lane closures, speed restrictions, hard shoulder running and overnight slip road or carriageway closures. This week, the following full closures will be in place:
- from 8pm on Monday 10 August until 6am on 11 August, the M1 northbound entry road at junction 28 will be closed
- the M1 northbound entry road at junction 28 and entry road at junction 31 will be closed overnight from 8pm until 6am each night From Tuesday 11 August until Friday 14 August
- on 13 and 14 August, the southbound exit at junction 31 will be closed from 8pm to 6am
- on Saturday 15 August, the M1 northbound up and over at junction 31 will be closed. Overnight, the exit and entry roads here will be closed
M45, Dunchurch to junction 17 (M1), Northamptonshire/Warwickshire: resurfacing
Until 1 October, there will be a 24/7 closure of the hard shoulder eastbound and lane one closure for overnight work between 8pm and 6am. A 50mph speed restriction will also be in place for the duration of work.
A45, Wilby Way to Billing, Northamptonshire: safety barrier repairs
The southbound carriageway will be closed overnight from 8pm to 6am between August 10 and August 17 for safety barrier repairs. There will be a temporary 50mph speed limit, narrow lanes and a slip road closure as part of the work.
A5, Crick to Magna Park, Leicestershire: diversion
A clearly-signed diversion route will be in place on the north and southbound carriageways between 9pm and 6am each night, due to work at M1 junction 19.
A6 Thulston roundabout, Derbyshire: resurfacing
A diversion will be in place overnight from 8pm to 5am on August 14 to 17 due to resurfacing work on the A50.
A14 junction 11, Northamptonshire: survey work
There will be an eastbound entry slip road closure at junction 11 of the A14 from 8pm on 10 August to 6am on 11 August for survey work.
A14 Kettering to Kelmarsh, Northamptonshire: survey work
There will be westbound carriageway and slip road closures between 3.30pm and 6am from August 10 to August 19, for drainage work.
A14 Kettering, junctions 7 to 9, Northamptonshire: carriageway work
There will be an overnight closure of the entry slip road at junction 9 westbound from 8pm on Sunday 9 August to 6am on Monday 10 August.
A38 Watchorn Interchange, Derbyshire: bridge work
Both carriageways will be closed overnight between 8pm and 6am until September 21 for bridge work. Diversions will be clearly signposted.
Members of the public should contact the Highways England customer contact centre on 0300 123 5000.
Journalists should contact the Highways England press office on 0844 693 1448 and use the menu to speak to the most appropriate press officer.